Day 7: To Wertheim, the last day - We Got As Far As Wertheim - CycleBlaze

July 21, 2021

Day 7: To Wertheim, the last day

In the morning I have the feeling that the infection that I have been trying to beat is winning. But I'm hopeful that I'll be okay and I'm looking forward to the ride in the Tauber Valley. We have ridden this before, but that was in bad weather and today is beautiful.

A few more pictures before we leave. The sign is pointing to the Covid quick test center.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Gregory GarceauI think the sign should have said "Janos is that way."
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Impressive facades in the historic market square
Heart 3 Comment 0

Our first stop is in Lauda where we poke around for a while, take a few pictures and find some fixings for lunch.

Wild flowers along the edge of the road - planted to encourage diversity for bees and insects perhaps.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Welcome to Lauda where flowers pour from above.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Pink - Lauda where the streets are decorated with colorful bicycles
Heart 5 Comment 0
Blue
Heart 4 Comment 0
White
Heart 3 Comment 0
Red
Heart 3 Comment 1
Lednar De NallohVery colourful bikes, co-incidentally I'm painting up one for my garden as well, right now.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Next stop is  Tauberbischofsheim, another historic town on the Romantic Road, here identical with the Tauber Valley Bike Path. This accounts for the many cyclists we encounter, more than any other part of the trip, and it was a lesson learned. Lots of Germans are "stay-cationing" this year and here, as in many countries, there has been quite a bicycle boom. We make a mental note in the future to avoid popular bicycle paths in July or August. I just don't like feeling like one of the pack. The closer we get to Wertheim, the more cyclists we see. 

Just a few kilometers before we reach  Tauberbischofsheim we stop for a look at the Church of St. Vitus in Dittigheim. I always find it interesting how church architecture follows the styles of the times. 

From Wikipedia:
 St. Vitus was built as the successor to a three-aisled pillar basilica from the 12th century. The church was completed in 1752. In 1879 several paintings were painted over and the baroque angels were dressed in gauze dresses. The changes from the 19th century were reversed during the restoration of the church from 1978 to 1982.

Catholic baroque church of St. Vitus in in Dittigheim
Heart 2 Comment 0
Detail and light, St. Vitus
Heart 0 Comment 0
An abundance of cherubs, St. Vitus
Heart 0 Comment 0
Red sandstone is common here, giving everything a kind of rosy hue.
Heart 6 Comment 0

The next 20 kilometers we follow the winding Tauber, as I recall the path is paved the whole way in this pretty river valley, until we reach Bronnbach Abbey. On our previous visit here we had a grey and chilly day, today in the sun the scene is changed. Not only is there sun, but also myriads of cyclists.

Bicycle path in the Tauber valley
Heart 2 Comment 0
The former Cistercian Abbey Bronnbach from the 12th century
Heart 2 Comment 0

Some background on Bronnbach Abbey from Wikipedia  which I find interesting :
The monastery underwent many changes, another case of Romanesque to Baroque. The most important monastery buildings were completed in Romanesque style prior to 1230. In the following periods, the monastery was steadily expanded and at the end of the 17th century the monastery was redesigned in Baroque style.


Secularisation was another milestone in the history of religious buildings. Monastery operations came to an end after secularisation in 1803 and the abbey fell to the Princely House of Löwenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg, which used it temporarily as a brewery. Today, Monastery Bronnbach is used as a venue for concerts, seminars, wine tasting, guided tours and other events. The monastery complex also has facilities and a guest house for conferences, seminars and training.

That's quite a leap from the simple, contemplative life of the Cistercian monks to the activities at Bronnbach today.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Lost in vegetation
Heart 4 Comment 0
See all the bicycles!
Heart 0 Comment 0

After a few more curves of the Tauber we are in Wertheim, where the Tauber flows into the Main.

Crossing the Tauber and entering Wertheim
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our destination for the day
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our hotel, Löwensteiner Hof, is on a quiet sidestreet not far from the main square. Looking for a place to eat, we stroll through the streets. Everything looks very busy so we return to our hotel's restaurant which seems to have gone unnoticed by the majority of tourists. The food is good and the man who runs the hotel and who also waits on the tables impresses us by doing the math for our bill in his head without using pencil and paper or a calculator.

By now it is clear that the UTI is not going to go away by itself. Taking the train from Würzburg sounds like a good idea, just a 43-km bike ride and a train ride and we will be home where I can see my doctor.

The final video

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 52 km (32 miles)
Total: 332 km (206 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Jacquie GaudetHere in British Columbia everyone is staycationing too--plus the usual influx from the neighbouring province of Alberta. Unfortunately, very few are on bicycles. Everyone is in a motor vehicle. I'd much prefer busy cycleways, if only we had any. (I'm not including the bits of TransCanada Trail as, despite what some people might think, it's not really a bike route, especially between towns.)
Reply to this comment
2 years ago