Day 60: Winnett, MT to Lewistown, MT - Seeking a Bicycle Warrior's Death, Part I: The Northern Tier - CycleBlaze

July 4, 2021

Day 60: Winnett, MT to Lewistown, MT

A Fine Fourth Even Without the Fireworks

Heart 0 Comment 0

Climbing Today; 1,931  ft                         Climbing to Date;   90,096 ft

It's just ridiculous to get up at 03:00, so I have the alarm set for 03:01.  Even with that extra minute it seems early.  Ever wonder why the distance traveled doesn't always agree with the distance shown on the RWGPS map?  It's because the distance traveled is based on my bicycle odometer, and it includes diversions from the route to go to a restaurant, etc.  So now you know.

View From the West Looking Back Toward Winnett
Heart 7 Comment 0

When the sun rose, it made some dazzling displays on the clouds above.

Early Morning Clouds Illuminated By The Sunrise
Heart 9 Comment 0

Today was a fantastic day for us as regards the riding conditions.  We had a tailwind at times and light winds otherwise, and there was cloud cover that had us riding in the shade!  We also got a brief taste of what it will be like when we finally get out of the Plains as we went over the Judith Mountains and got to ride amongst pine trees for a bit.  But let's back up a bit.  As usual, I saw a lot of deer this morning.  Here's a brief sample.

I See Many Deer When There's Not Enough Light To Get A Focus Lock
Heart 2 Comment 0
This Group Was Particularly Skittish Of Me
Heart 5 Comment 0
I Photographed Many Others This Morning As Well
Heart 3 Comment 0

Here's today's old building picture.

I'm Not At All Sure What This Building Once Was
Heart 6 Comment 0

Parts of our route are coincident with the Lewis and Clark bicycle route.  Maybe I'll ride that someday.

We Are In Lewis and Clark Country Now
Heart 2 Comment 0

We met some other tourists today.  Eileen and Ed are eastbound on the Northern Tier. 

Eileen, Bud, Ed, and Doc (photo credit; Eileen)
Heart 4 Comment 0

That's a rather wild-looking picture; with our various head gear we appear to be a bunch of space aliens.  Ed and Eileen are in today's video as well.  I also met Dan today, sole rider eastbound on a recumbent.  I don't have a picture but he is also shown in today's video.

Hay There!
Heart 4 Comment 0

Grasshoppers are all over the road.  They were jumping up as I passed and some of them would hitch a ride on my panniers.

An Unusual Hitchhiker, One Of Many Today
Heart 2 Comment 0

It was exciting to see some hills and trees ahead and know that we were going to cross over the Judith Mountains.  And it was great to be up amongst the trees and green grass as opposed to the dried out brown grasses on the plains.

Very Exciting To See Mountains Ahead!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Even Better To Be Up In The Trees
Heart 4 Comment 0

I got to town shortly after 11:00, too early to check in at the motel (I tried but no rooms were ready).  So I found a cafe downtown and texted Doc, and he joined me shortly and we had a late breakfast.   Afterwards, people were lining up for the 4th of July parade; our room wasn't ready so I stayed for the parade.  Small town parades are lots of fun - folks on tractors, vintage cars, all the police and fire trucks, you name it.  Here's a sample;

Every Parade Needs The Shriners
Heart 5 Comment 0
Women's Suffrage on Parade
Heart 3 Comment 1
Kelly IniguezAlso an old movie theatre!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
A Very Old Pontiac
Heart 4 Comment 0

OK, I got to quit and get ready for tomorrow.  While the cycling gods were kind to us today, they plan to exact their vengeance on us tomorrow in the form of a steady 15 mph headwind.  The good news is that the temperature is expected to be much cooler than it has been, with a high in the low 80's.  An early start won't help us either, as the winds will already be active and against us at 04:00.  So it is what it is; we have been lucky so far and may have to endure some punishment now.  I hope you are all lucky tomorrow, cause somebody has to be.  Our eastbound friends will benefit from our hardship, so that's some consolation.

Despite all the craziness and lunacy in our politics and the way half the country is misled by "alternative fact" news, I am still proud to be an American.  I hope you are too, and that you work to change things for the better.  It's going to be a tough day tomorrow, good night all.  The usual video is a bit longer today because of roadside meetups and the 4th of July parade.

Today's ride: 55 miles (89 km)
Total: 3,132 miles (5,040 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Steve HenryBud such a wonderful video today with the parade. It’s a slice of bye-gone America. I loved the old cars!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago