Day 39: Genoa, WI to Trempealeau, WI - Seeking a Bicycle Warrior's Death, Part I: The Northern Tier - CycleBlaze

June 13, 2021

Day 39: Genoa, WI to Trempealeau, WI

Happy Trails to You

Heart 0 Comment 0

Climbing Today; 505 ft                            Climbing to Date; 62,383 ft

We had a relatively short day planned, so we slept until 05:00 this morning.  As we were preparing to leave at 06:00, church bells commenced - apparently this town has a lot of tolerance for being woken up early on Sunday morning.   From the deck leading to our hotel room one has a good view of the lock and dam - how about that? 

Lock and Dam #8 at Genoa, WI
Heart 2 Comment 0

Our first stop was at the Kwik Trip as we left town, where I had a delicious just-made cinnamon roll and yogurt for "first breakfast."  We ate outside with our breakfasts sat atop the stack of firewood for sale, and watched bald eagles soaring above the Mississippi River in the early morning mist.  

Early Morning Mist Over The Mississippi
Heart 6 Comment 0

Yesterday, across from the lock and dam in a scenic overlook pullout area, there were several carriages parked at one end and the horses had been tied off in the woods under shade.  There was no sign of anyone around, but it seems as though there must be Amish living nearby.  We saw further evidence of that this morning in the parking lot of the Kwik Trip and we were careful not to cycle over said evidence.

Horse Poop in the Kwik Trip Parking Lot
Heart 1 Comment 0

It was 57° outside in the early morn - I was happy and Doc had a couple of layers on and was complaining about the cold weather chilling his hands.  Today only got up into the mid-80's by the time we reached our destination, a marked improvement over the last few days. 

Wildlife In The Upper Mississippi National Wildlife Refuge
Heart 5 Comment 0

La Crosse roads were pleasant to ride on as we were routed through quiet residential areas.  I complained because we were routed on and off the trail system for no real reason, but eventually we were routed onto the Great River State Park Trail and stayed on it almost the entire way to our destination, and it was a pleasant ride.   But before that happened, we rolled onto Ardies Flip Side Bar and Grill and there was a breakfast crowd there - and so were we.  And so it came to pass that we enjoyed "second breakfast" in La Crosse before setting out on the final leg of the day. 

The Photo Doesn't Show the Multiple Hues of Green and Blue
Heart 3 Comment 0

Once we got on the Wisconsin Great River State Park Trail in La Crosse, it was nice to ride in the shade, at least some of the time. The surface was mostly hard packed dirt and it was good for riding. When you stopped the bugs would swarm you, but overall it was a very good experience compared to being on the road and in the heat of the direct sun.  It was a happy trail for us indeed.

Riding Alongside the Wildlife Reserve
Heart 3 Comment 0
Minding His Own Business
Heart 5 Comment 0
Doc On The Great River State Parks Trail
Heart 6 Comment 0
The Swamps Have a Deep-Green Color
Heart 2 Comment 0

Arriving in Trempealeau, one couldn't help but notice the bicycle art/advertising.

They Cater To Cyclists
Heart 3 Comment 0

And, of course, how could we resist getting a picture with this background? 

There's Something Fishy About This
Heart 5 Comment 0

Our room was not yet ready, so we walked to the nearby Bike and Bean coffee shop to chill out for a while. I enjoyed my first caramel frappucino of the trip, and when it was done our room was ready.  The music is playing from the pavilion next door, and that's where we are heading for dinner.  Our room has a small deck that fronts the Mississippi River and we have a pleasant view.  I need to grab a shower now and go eat.  Later folks - usual silly video follows.

Today's ride: 40 miles (64 km)
Total: 1,995 miles (3,211 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0