Day 19: Armidale to Wollomombi - A happy ride around Australia (second attempt) - CycleBlaze

March 5, 2021

Day 19: Armidale to Wollomombi

Bill identified yesterday's frog as a Peron's tree frog. Thanks Bill. 

Start: 9:00am
Distance: 45kms
Ride time: 3:11hrs
Average: 14km/hr
Max: 68km/hr 
Finish: 3:30pm

It was a hilly day and the temperature was a warm 25C.

There was some roadworks again and I was nervous how it would play out. It all turned out fine. They gave me an escort for the 1km long section. Nice people.

Scenic pic.
Heart 1 Comment 0
I took a 2km detour to see the Wollomombi Falls.This is the first National Park I've visited on this trip.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Falls drop 100 metres. They are the 3rd biggest in Australia.
Heart 7 Comment 2
Rita McCarthyWow! That would be an impressive sight to see.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Vince McCarthyHello aunty. Yes, it was awesome!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
They are in a huge gorge.
Heart 5 Comment 0
I spent 2.5hrs here walking around to the other side of the falls.
Heart 0 Comment 0

There is a campground here. Unfortunately all of the sites are booked. I considered doing a stealth camp but a ranger was hanging around. 

I knew there was another camping option 5kms further down the road so I headed for that.

Today my belt drive started making a knocking noise. I usually associate this sound with the belt being too tight or offline.

It does it on every right pedal stroke. I washed the belt and checked the  tension. The pedals and EBB are all secure. 

I welcome any ideas please. My next fix is to use some silicone spray on it when I get to Coffs Harbour. I've done about 4,000kms on this belt without any problems. 

I rode to the Wollomombi township.

And had a huge burger! I was amazed at how quickly I consumed it.
Heart 2 Comment 6
Deleted AccountHey Vince, that burger looks even better than the Pizza 😋😋!
Heading off on my own Oz tour soon - where did you get your flag pole from?
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Deleted AccountMate, I bet you really miss your dogs every time you open up to the home page of your journal - they are beauties!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Rita McCarthyI’m sure you needed that burger after all your hard work.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Vince McCarthyTo Deleted AccountThat's fantastic Andrew. Be sure to send me the link if you're going to do a journal.

I got my flag and pole many years ago from Purple Sky. The flag faded over the years so I've stuck reflective tape on it.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Vince McCarthyTo Deleted AccountThank you Andrew.
Yes I miss them dearly. Serena sends me daily photos of them.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Vince McCarthyTo Rita McCarthyPerhaps. I need to eat less so I can loose weight but it's hard when the food options are limited in the country places.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

I could camp for free right next to the shop but the nice shop man suggested it would be noisy with people drinking until 11pm because it's Friday night. 

He suggested I camp in a small park 200m away. There is a toilet here and no water. The nice man let me fill my water bottles from his rainwater tank. 

Free
Heart 5 Comment 0

Today I climbed 600 metres.

Today's ride: 45 km (28 miles)
Total: 974 km (605 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0