Day 9 - Alma - Viking Quest ~ 2023 - CycleBlaze

Day 9 - Alma

Day 9 - Alma, WI.   Started out on trails through a wildlife refuge....

Heart 3 Comment 0

then onto the Great River Road 35 north. Nice shoulder and low traffic. 

Heart 3 Comment 0
Town of Fountain, WI.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Arrived in Alma for breakfast and decided to stay.  Alma is a city in the county seat of Buffalo County, Wisconsin, United States. The population was 716 at the 2020 census. The motto for the city of Alma is: "Step into Living History."

Small town USA place along the Mississippi River.  I road to the edge of town before finding the first day's GEM - Pier 4 Cafe.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Cool Right!
Heart 4 Comment 0
Window View while having breakfast....heading across river to Minnesota!
Heart 2 Comment 0

So, after breakfast I wandered over to the library and was thinking if I should consider moving on or just stay overnight here.  The heat index was forecasted to be plus-100 degrees. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

Well, I asked the librarian what was available in town. She said you should call Dan, he owns half the town.   He owns the pizza place, a bakery, a store and a "place" to stay.  She noted that he his an amazing decorator too.

Well, went outside and called Dan.  He answered and said, "how do I know that you are a real person.". Then he said oh I see you and he is across the street one block down waving.  Dan is a thin man with crystal blue eyes.  You immediately feel his character and big  personality.

What a character!  He decorates his properties in what I would call Art Deco styling.   He told me he buys a lot of stuff from goodwill and yard sales .

Anyway, here's room.  When we toured the room initially, he said pick anyone you like, if the key is in the door it's available....

A must tell story Dan told me as we toured rooms, was about is recent accident.  A toilet feel on his femur and broke it (the femur).

He said at his last appointment the doctor said he'd live for another 40 years.

My room is labelled the "Shire Room". Each one is uniquely decorated with artistic grace!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 2
Gregory GarceauIs that the toilet that broke Dan's femur?
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Keith A. SpanglerYes, he said he was moving it when something happened. Thanks for looking at my journal
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Heart 3 Comment 0

I'm going to explore the town now; not much open during the week, but ...  Oh, Dan said if I wanted to take his truck up on the Bluff at sunset he'd leave the keys in it.

Today's ride: 33 miles (53 km)
Total: 402 miles (647 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Tamora StumNice pictures...take more!! Love wifey
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Keith A. SpanglerWild right …. Feels like Columbia
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Ralph SpanglerVery cool. Love that little town. I could live there.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Daniel SpanglerMeeting a lot of Dans out there!!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Keith A. SpanglerCrazy right! Not looking for them ....
Reply to this comment
8 months ago