Day 9: Hattah to Kulwin - A late Autumn/Early winter trip to Victoria by two old people - CycleBlaze

May 19, 2023

Day 9: Hattah to Kulwin

Heart 0 Comment 0

The new plan from Hattah was to carry on down the main highway as far as Ouyen and then turn East. The highway had a good shoulder even if it wasn't as potentially interesting as the original plan. It was a bitterly cold day made much worse by a bitingly cold wind, we were both freezing. Fortunately, we made it to Ouyen for lunch and escaped the cold. We sat down for lunch outside the council office, which doubled as a library. I realised that I'd been here before on a trip back from Canberra. I managed to charge up my e-reader and download some books whilst sitting in the library, the staff were very good and we left our stuff charging whilst going shopping and checking out the town. We spent a while here, not keen to get back on the cold road.

Eventually, we had to get back on the bikes and hit the road, however, this time we were heading East with the wind behind us. Not only did our speed increase significantly but so did the temperature. Without the wind cutting through us we had to stop twice to shed clothing. We made it to a place called Kulwin, a place not a town. We found some disused silo's well away from the road and camped in  the scrub. A lovely quiet evening in the bush. Interestingly, even though we didn't see any houses or signs of life there were remnants of a football oval. Long, long ago things did actually happen here.

Scrub camp at Kulwin silos.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The silos are just full of pigeons and becoming dilapidated.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 65 km (40 miles)
Total: 533 km (331 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0