Day 30/31: The long journey home. - A late Autumn/Early winter trip to Victoria by two old people - CycleBlaze

June 9, 2023 to June 10, 2023

Day 30/31: The long journey home.

We arrived at Ararat station far too early, I tend to get anxious about these things. Everything had gone so well I thought something was bound to mess up right at the end. Fears unfounded. Bikes and luggage loaded into the baggage car, the panniers had been packed in a couple of big stripy bags that Annette had doubled as a ground sheet to protect her sleeping mat. The train was good and I enjoyed the journey. We had lots of food and reading material.

Loading the panniers into a stripy bag.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Overland.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Two weary old people on a train.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We arrived in  Adelaide just after dark, packed the bikes again and rode to a friends house for the night.

Repacking in Adelaide.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After a nice relaxing evening with friends we caught a suburban train to Gawler where a friend was to pick us up and take us home. He was quite a while coming so we sat outside a shopping centre and made lunch whilst sitting on a bench. There was an old bloke on the next bench who'd seen better days, he saw someone drop a cigarette butt and walked past us to get it. As he came back past us he asked if we were doing it tough and offered to show us where the salvos are. Do we really look that bad?

Train to Gawler.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Home at last.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Mike AylingI enjoyed your journal having cycled through many of the places that you did. As an 80 yo I would not be able to do some of the daily distances that you achieved. Chapeau as the French would say.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Ian WallisPete and Annette
I just found your blog. Will sit back and read it soon. Love the photo of the old people on the train. Thats how I felt yesterday!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Peter BrownTo Ian WallisI felt a little embarrassed about how tame our trip was after reading your epic.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago