Day 29; Train trip to Ararat - A late Autumn/Early winter trip to Victoria by two old people - CycleBlaze

June 8, 2023

Day 29; Train trip to Ararat

We got off as early as we could to catch the first available train  to ararat. There are only certain trains you can catch, apparently, some of them magically turn into buses en route which is not compatible with bicycles. Not sure why this is but I suppose they know what they're doing. It was a nice ride into Ballarat, the rain  stayed off and we made it to the station with plenty of time to spare. I think I mentioned earlier that country rail travel in Victoria is ridiculously cheap, it cost us a little over $4 each to get to Ararat (old people concession). I got talking to a lady in the station who was part of a charity called 'Traveller's Friends' or something similar. An interesting lady who, coincidentally, had been having some very similar ideas to me about housing the homeless.

Riding into Ballarat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Waiting at the station.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The train ride went without a hitch, getting the bikes on was no trouble and the journey very comfortable. We arrived in Ararat well before lunch and did a lap of the main street before heading out to a camp site not far from the town centre. Found a supermarket along the way and stocked up. The campsite manager was very friendly and accommodating, she gave us a site right next to an excellent camp kitchen and a free hot drink. We put up the tent and had lunch. Free tea, coffee and biscuits in the camp kitchen.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Got the civvies on ready for a trip into town.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After lunch we did another trip to town and visited a Chinese cultural centre dedicated to the Chinese who came out for the gold rush. We spent the evening in the camp kitchen partying with grey nomads, some of whom we met before in Glenlyon. A good night to end the trip.

Premature birthday celebration.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0