Day 8: Red Cliff to Hattah Roadhouse - A late Autumn/Early winter trip to Victoria by two old people - CycleBlaze

May 18, 2023

Day 8: Red Cliff to Hattah Roadhouse

Heart 0 Comment 0

Just the one road again today. Quite a short day but the Hattah roadhouse seemed a good point to aim for. The plan was to turn left at Hattah on the way to Swan Hill but I was wanting some local advice. Hattah roadhouse was advertising free camping with a hot shower, the alternative was camping bush, the roadhouse turned out to be an interesting place. Wazza, the guy pushing the barrow from Red Cliff arrived just on dark, he'd walked for 53 km the same as we'd ridden. We camped on a lawned area at the back of the roadhouse and, good to their word, there was a free hot shower. There were some permanent cabins there housing a couple of truck drivers and a swag housing some young guy. All of them were working in the Almond industry. I got talking to the truck drivers who talked me out of my intended route. It was a very narrow road, which is what attracted me to it, but they told me a lot of trucks used it making it dangerous. They'd know. Earlier I asked the guy running the roadhouse thinking he'd have local knowledge, turned out he'd just arrived from Argentina and had never left the roadhouse. After dinner we sat on a table outside the roadhouse and had a beer with Wazza watching the world go by. Some large almond processing factory must have just changed shifts because there was a constant stream of workers (all of them Islanders) on their way home buying food and alcohol. They seemed a cheery bunch to chat to. It was an interesting evening sitting there.

Sunrise at Red Cliff
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hattah.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Behind the Hattah Roadhouse.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wazza making it to Hattah
Heart 0 Comment 0
53km in a day.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 53 km (33 miles)
Total: 468 km (291 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0