Day 7: Werrimul to Red Cliff. - A late Autumn/Early winter trip to Victoria by two old people - CycleBlaze

May 17, 2023

Day 7: Werrimul to Red Cliff.

Heart 0 Comment 0

A good night in Werrimul followed by a straight forward day onto Red Cliff. The Milewa Road is dotted with towns that aren't really there. You come to a sign as if coming into a town, such as Parita, you will then cross an intersection with roads North Parita and South Parita. No sign of any habitation except a rusty silo next to the old railway line. There are quite a number of these and the pattern is always the same. The silo's probably closed soon after the railway, which seems to have been a long time ago. It's a sad sight, a lot of infrastructure going to waste and putting even more trucks on the road.

Stopping for a drink on the open road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Annette having lunch, note the ground sheet for me.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We rolled into Red Cliff with plenty of time to do some shopping, find a camp site and have dinner. Probably for the first time ever, we paid for a powered site when unpowered was available. The reason for this is that the unpowered sites were right next to the highway so we went the extra $5 to get away from the noise. We were camped next to a bloke called Wazza who was walking from Mildura to Portland pushing a big barrow. Apperently he had been walking around Australia for two years. Just when you think you're doing something extreme. He was raising awareness for a charity called RUOK. We had dinner with Wazza in the camp kitchen or BBQ area and then went for a walk into town.

A nice quiet night next to the vineyards.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 58 km (36 miles)
Total: 415 km (258 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0