Day 6: Meringur to Werrimul - A late Autumn/Early winter trip to Victoria by two old people - CycleBlaze

May 16, 2023

Day 6: Meringur to Werrimul

Heart 0 Comment 0

Not officially a rest day but the next best thing. We spent the morning exploring the Meringur  Pioneer Village, this is well worth a detour for anyone travelling Renmark to Mildura. We spent a couple of hours going through it, reading stuff, playing with stuff and just wandering about. Whilst we were packing up a lady came to replenish the toilet rolls and we had a chat. There are a dedicated group of volunteers who keep the whole thing going from a village of 13 people.

An incredible collection of shoe making tools.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I got PTSD walking into the school room
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some amazing stuff lying about.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Unfortunately, the railway is long gone.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gaol.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The ride today was a mere 25km to the small settlement of Werrimur, home to Victoria's most remote pub. According to the notice at the pub anyway. There is also an official free camp with a cold shower but no drinking water. We had to get that from the pub. We spent the day washing clothes and ourselves before going for a walk along a heritage trail done by the local school. it's interesting to see the infrastructure that existed in these places in days gone by. There is nearly always a football oval, the pub had pictures of premierships and teams from towns that don't exist. We had dinner at the pub, quite a good meal, and chatted to locals and visitors. There is a lake nearby that is a well known camping spot. I was talking to a couple from Waikerie who were camping by the lake, he said "it's only an hour and half from Waikerie." Yeah right, it took us two and a half days.

The Werrimul Pub.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Drying clothes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Same lunch for a month.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 25 km (16 miles)
Total: 357 km (222 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0