Day 10: Kulwin to Piangil - A late Autumn/Early winter trip to Victoria by two old people - CycleBlaze

May 20, 2023

Day 10: Kulwin to Piangil

Heart 0 Comment 0
Leaving Kulwin.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After a pleasant night at the Kulwin silos it was a fairly straightforward day to Piangil. Again, just the one road and no need for any fancy navigation. The only town along the way was Manangatan, we stopped here for morning tea. It was yet another one of those towns with just one general store (basically a take away food outlet selling a couple of grocery items), I think there may have been a pub but excellent public facilities. Toilet, BBQ area, playground and park, just about every one horse town has these things, even towns without a horse. When I think of the problems that I had finding a public toilet in the USA or a toilet that hadn't been vandalised in the UK. These things have made these isolated rural towns much more pleasant.

I just like saying the name.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The reason we focussed on Piangil for the night was a reccommendation on 'wikicamps'. Donation camp with a hot shower, hard to ride past something like that. Piangil is yet another town with a general store (including petrol), not even a pub, a few houses and excellent public facilities. I can only think that perhaps the Victorian government went round handing out grants at some stage, although, these places still have to be maintained and this is done by local volunteers.

The camp was right in the middle of town, a parking area for caravans, a lawned area suitable for tents, an undercover BBQ area with free electric BBQ's and a bathroom with hot shower. I walked down to the General Store to buy beer and settled in for the night.

Nice sheltered spot.
Heart 0 Comment 0
BBQ area with electric BBQ and outlets to charge the phone.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 66 km (41 miles)
Total: 599 km (372 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0