We leave the car behind - Three Good Blokes tackle the Best of Victoria - CycleBlaze

October 14, 2022

We leave the car behind

Albury to Myrtleford

It absolutely hosed down overnight and into the morning but eased not long after Manchester United scored a late winner against a weirdly named team called OMO from Cyprus in the Europa League. There’s significant flooding through large parts of Victoria but not so much where we are. 

We leave the car at Steve’s mother in law’s place and strike out for Myrtleford. I used the rest day to buy a few things including a new helmet as my old one was falling apart. Not thinking of magpies,  I picked a shiny new red helmet which seems to be their preferred colour. I pulled out of our Air BNB and immediately got swooped. Nevertheless I had a good feeling about the day. 100 metres down the road I found a $50 noted neatly folded in the gutter.

Heading out of Albury
Heart 4 Comment 0

We ride out of Albury, cross the border into Victoria and take a bike path through Wodonga and some sprawling developments before hitting the Yackendandah Rd that surprisingly takes us to Yack. It’s a little busy but there’s a good verge and again lovely country. The light is amazing with the constant weather changes between rain scuds and streaming sunshine.

We devour a pie and sausage roll with an unusual but tasty chutney topping whilst the heavens open up. By the time we’re done it’s clear again, and this pattern repeats itself for the rest of the afternoon. Chris leaves us here and heads back to Albury .

A failed attempt at interpretive photography, with Chris heading off in one direction, and us in the other.
Heart 5 Comment 0

We take a quiet road through the hills and towards Myrtleford, passing through the hamlet of Mudgegonga, where some 30 years ago the the  students at the local primary school hurled abuse at us as we rode by. I returned the compliment today and it felt very satisfying.

Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

It’s too wet to camp so we’re staying in a classic 70’s motel. Our room is complete  with a direct dial telephone, electric blinds and a colour television. 

This original oil on canvas painting above my bed is a magnificent example of the ‘ Tangambalanga School’ which was an offshoot of the Heidelberg School in the late 19th century.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We found a pizzeria that made classical thin based pizzas and washed it down with a local Sangiovese. We were so lucky with the weather today and had another great day on the road.

Tour de France shot 3
Heart 6 Comment 0
I think it’s about to rain
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
He couldn’t possibly eat all of that could he?
Heart 7 Comment 1
Mike AylingOh yes he can!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Today's ride: 79 km (49 miles)
Total: 501 km (311 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0