A magnificent days riding and eating. - Three Good Blokes tackle the Best of Victoria - CycleBlaze

October 15, 2022

A magnificent days riding and eating.

Myrtleford to Whitfield

Limbo dancing on a bike
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

The weather has cleared overnight and the forecast looks promising for the next few days. We land in a Nepalese cafe for breakfast on the recommendation of the pizza restaurant proprietor (who looked like a genuine Italian Nona but had a Welsh accent). 2 coffees later and a belly full of Nepalese inspired asparagus and eggs on sourdough, we eventually roll out of Myrtleford heading for Lake Buffalo.

Latte art at its finest
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heading for the hills
Heart 7 Comment 0


A sealed road takes us through another picture perfect valley up to the lake. We stop by the lake for a quick brew and head along the Buffalo River before the road turns to gravel and we divert onto the Rose River road. There’s plenty of debris lying around but no obvious flooding. The road is in pretty good nick, better than most of the roads in our own Palerang Shire.

Heart 4 Comment 0
Lake Buffalo a tad full
Heart 3 Comment 0
Not a stress in the world
Heart 6 Comment 0

There’s no wind and it’s cool and sunny, so perfect cycling conditions. We’re on quiet roads now and again in such magnificent surrounds. We almost need 10ks riding through an industrial estate so we can truly appreciate the natural beauty.

After lunch by the Rose River we climb for an hour or so and then descend into the King Valley which was hit pretty hard by the recent rains. Our destination of Whitfield looms but not before stopping at the Pizzini Winery for a tasting.

Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

Whitfield is just down the road and my rapidly deflating rear tyre barely gets me into town. The campground is saturated so we book a room at the pub. With one double bed and 2 single beds it’s another round of rock scissors paper to decide the allocation. My suspicion of cheating and collusion by my supposed colleagues is heightened by my unexplained loss in the first round. I’m left to go out and repair my tube and work on a new strategy.

Dinner at the pub is restaurant quality (as Darryl Kerrigan would say). The 1860’s  hotel is fully renovated has only had 2 owners in its existence. Ned Kelly apparently rode his horse down the corridor demanding room service.

Steve had trouble deciding what to order.

As your optometrist I demand you put on your glasses
Heart 4 Comment 0

Today's ride: 72 km (45 miles)
Total: 573 km (356 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 1
judy coxLovely pictures - thanks Dennis for your interesting and informativewriting. Good to see you back on your bikes
Reply to this comment
1 year ago