A magnificent days riding - Three Good Blokes tackle the Best of Victoria - CycleBlaze

October 19, 2022

A magnificent days riding

Marysville to Warburton

I’ve ridden some great roads in my time but todays route would have to be in my top 3 and possibly come in at number 1. It was perfect cycling conditions with no wind, bright blue skies and it got to the mid twenties by the afternoon.

After a coffee in Marysville we took a quiet C road for about 5ks before turning onto the Acheron Way, a route recommended by an inquisitive cyclist that we met in the coffee shop. Even better was that it was closed to traffic because of a few land slips so we had the road to ourselves.

Leaving Marysville
Heart 3 Comment 0

The Acheron Way winds its way through magnificent stands of 400 year old Myrtle Beech and Mountain Ash eucalypts, some towering over 70 metres tall. We climb slowly for a couple of hours but stopped several times to boil the billy (well actually firing up the jet-boil but that doesn’t sound as romantic). It was just us, the Acheron River burbling away below us and an orchestra of bird song.

Be prepared for lots more pictures of trees
Heart 5 Comment 0
And bikes
Heart 5 Comment 0
And bikes and trees
Heart 5 Comment 0

There were a couple of land slips on the long downhill that even a car could have squeezed through so for us it was a doddle. We stopped again for lunch near a rainforest canopy walk that took you to about 15 metres above the ground. It doesn’t sound much unless your scared of heights.

Did I mention that we saw some splendid trees today
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0

Eventually the Acheron Way deposited us in the outskirts of Warburton an idyllic town in the Yarra Valley. From there we found a bush camp on the edge of the Yarra a short distance out of town. Steve’s cooked up an Asian inspired rice dish that he is currently struggling to come up with a suitably epicurean name for. So I’ll call it a surprise curry as it had surprise peas in it.

It was such a good day. All that’s left is finishing my cup of tea, watching the fire and crawling into my tent.

Heart 5 Comment 0

Today's ride: 56 km (35 miles)
Total: 825 km (512 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0