Piano E Lontano Tour - Via Francigena - CycleBlaze

September 4, 2023

Piano E Lontano Tour

Longer but slower apparently not

I signed up for the next level up from Panorama and one level below Explorer for a bit of a challenge.  The average speed was supposed to be in the 18-20kph range but we did an average of 23.1kph with 2700’ of climbing over 77km.  I was in a group with 6 other Cdns and one Swiss fellow and 2 guides.  We all rode well together at a good pace so the leader kept it going.  The only reason that I could keep up was the road e-bike.  On the way back we were screaming along the flats into a head wind at 30+kph.  By their own admission the others were not good descenders so just followed the guide and wizzed downhill.  I could have gone faster but I don’t just the roads and I didn’t want to overtake the guide because I didn’t know where we were going.  It was you typical Belvedere ride up to a high point for coffee and then back down.  The longest climb was 3.5km at an average of 5%.  Sadly this is our last day because we take the train to Rome tomorrow and fly home on Wed.

The area in which we cycle. You can easily spot San Marino which is where you go on Fri after the big pool party.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The beach this morning was churning because the winds were up. No swimming today, red flags.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the water stop, there are lots of potable water stops in the villages
Heart 1 Comment 0
The winds we blowing at about 25kph and gusting to 40.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Monte Grimano Terme the coffee stop today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view of the countryside below our coffee location.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A special appetizer on the pool deck tonight
Heart 0 Comment 0
Steak cooked for dinner
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is a raw kg of tomahawk steak. Once cooked it was cut up into small pieces with béarnaise sauce or chilly pepper sauce. On our last trip I saw a young woman eat the whole thing, that would make me sick.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 77 km (48 miles)
Total: 482 km (299 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0