Phnom Penh Photo Gallery - Unchained Melody - CycleBlaze

December 14, 2023

Phnom Penh Photo Gallery

Phnom Penh Photo Gallery

Wait a second, before we leave Cambodia I wanted to give you a bit of the flavor of Phnom Penh - a city on the move.   The skyline is soaring.  I'm not sure I've ever seen so many tall buildings being constructed at once anywhere.  I feel like Saigon, Phnom Penh and Bangkok are all vieing for the world's attention.  So far Phnom Penh has my attention as a great food scene.  

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Right here is where the Tonle Sap River blends with the Mekong and gives up its name. The Tonle Sap River is the famous river that reverses course in the rainy season and fills Tonle Sap (lake) and often floods it. The Tonle Sap is one of the great inland fisheries of the world but it's all changing due to dams that China and Laos have built which have put all the fish of the Mekong in danger.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Tonle Sap River
Heart 2 Comment 0
There is a nice long waterfront area mostly overlooking the Tonle Sap River but just a bit downstream the Mekong too.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Across the Tonle Sap River is a sand spit that separates the Mekong River for a bit. I don't remember much of anything on that sand spit fifteen years ago.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Cambodia is famous for its draft beers which sell, in this case, for $.65 a mug. It's cheaper at bars.
Heart 3 Comment 0
There are lots of beautiful old French colonial buildings too.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Probably the most iconic building in the entire city, the Phsar Thmei or Central Market in beautiful art deco style. It's been saved but the interior is no long the old time market it once was. It is filled with glass cases full of jewelry and watches. Only around the outside periphery remains the way it always has been.
Heart 3 Comment 0
In one of the four walkways (entrances) leading to the central market building.
Heart 3 Comment 0
All around the outside of the central market are fruit, vegetable and food vendors. A very colorful place in the early morning.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Around the outside of the central market.
Heart 3 Comment 0
More of the outside market area, a very busy place at 6:30AM.
Heart 6 Comment 2
Jen RahnThat's a lotta chicken on one scooter!
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Bruce LellmanTo Jen RahnOh, he had already removed half of them by the time I could get my camera out. He was moving fast as was everyone in that market at about 6:30AM. It was a buzz with activity.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 1
John SolemBeautiful.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Two new buildings squeezing the old.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Wires!
Heart 5 Comment 1
Mark LellmanI'm sure there is a wireless movement afoot. This rivals India. I would hate to be a Cambodian whose phone was connected to this mess. It could be out of service for weeks.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
This is not strapped on!
Heart 5 Comment 0
Condiment trays at a restaurant.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We were eating breakfast at this restaurant and I saw they had chicken with ginger. I know how they pile on the ginger in SE Asia so I had to order it. Andrea got a more standard breakfast of an omelette. But nothing is ever standard either, always with a twist we were not expecting.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Mark LellmanThat can't be called an omelet.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
There are lots of these sorts of drinks stands. We didn't know what half the stuff was.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
All of these motorbikes were employees of Metfone. At first we didn't know if we could get to the front door.
Heart 3 Comment 0
It was well above 90 degrees and I saw these poor guys doing something up there on glass in the sun.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Mark LellmanProbably were trying to find the right wire.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
This printing place was printing flash cards.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 1
Mark LellmanWhere is the POP? Oh, I see now. Great rip off. I wonder if Kellogg's knows, or maybe it IS Kellogg's knocking themselves off. Maybe in the humidity calling it Rice Krispies just caused too many lawsuits. So many questions, especially about the price. Does anyone even buy these at $4.39 when everything local seems inexpensive. OK, now I see that they ARE Kellogg's brand, or an even better rip off by leaving the S off of Kellogg's, maybe creating a new brand. Sorry for the drivel, the paper didn't come today, so I have to do something.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago

lovebruce  

Rate this entry's writing Heart 14
Comment on this entry Comment 2
John SolemAwesome bunch of photographs, thank you!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Bruce LellmanTo John SolemThank you, John.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago