In Plymouth: Pork Hill - Three Seasons Around France: Summer - CycleBlaze

September 10, 2022

In Plymouth: Pork Hill

Conditions are excellent for a ride today, with one exception: the elevator is still out of service.  It makes for a difficult overture to the day’s outing.

Three flights of this to start off the day. I was luckier than Rachael here - when I started down a service worker volunteered to give me a hand.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Susan CarpenterNice guns Rachael!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

The ride is an out and back of course.  The first ten miles are easy if a bit rough as we follow the River Plym upriver from its mouth - first on a cyclepath that parallels busy, loud Plymouth Road along the estuary for three miles and then on Drake’s Path following the route of a former rail line as it rises at an almost uniform 2% slope for the next seven miles.  This section of Drake’s Path is especially pleasant today, a Saturday, as we share the trail with many families on foot, bike, kiddie bike and the odd pony.  The trail includes a longish tunnel - maybe a fifth of a mile - that is weakly lit and a bit spooky but of course greatly appreciated for the climbing it spares us.

The estuary of the River Plym.
Heart 2 Comment 0
An appealing art work on Drake’s Trail.
Heart 4 Comment 1
On Drake’s Trail.
Heart 2 Comment 0
On Drake’s Trail.
Heart 2 Comment 0
On Drake’s Trail. Toward the end of this part of the ride we leave the woods and enter Dartmoor National Park.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Keith AdamsThe green of the grass and blue of the sky are so vivid this almost looks like CGI from fifteen or twenty years ago.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith AdamsYou’re right. It doesn’t look quite real, does it?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 2 Comment 0

Drake’s Trail continues on north to Tavistock - it’s the route we would have ridden into Plymouth before we changed our plans and took the train to Plymouth instead.  We leave it after ten miles though and angle off to the northeast toward Pork Hill, a destination I pulled out of the hat because it allegedly offers fine views and is a popular if challenging biking destination.

I was a little anxious about the climb up Pork Hill itself which looks like it will be a challenge alright, climbing almost 500’ in a bit over a mile.  And it is a challenge when we get there, but a well behaved one that lets us grind up at a steady 8-10% the whole way.  The real challenge by that time is already behind us though, a short gut buster climbing up from the River Walkham that caps out at 23%.  We surprise ourselves by both staying upright the whole way, but just barely.  

Once up that we’re suddenly in the open, crossing a small moorish area that gives us good views around and let’s us see ahead to Pork Hill rising to the east.

Crossing the River Walkham.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Remains of the old mill, at the crossing of the River Walkham.
Heart 6 Comment 0
A low moor in Dartmoor.
Heart 5 Comment 2
Keith AdamsThis image immediately brought o my mind one of my favorite pieces of music: "Sheep may safely graze" by J. S. Bach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1nyzGR3tUE for a lovely rendition.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith AdamsNot surprising. The Bachs were British, if I remember correctly. They must have seen a lot of sheep in their formative years.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Pork Hill rises just to the east. Doesn’t look too challenging, but we know better. Roads here never take a gradual way up.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The view east to Pork Hill. Unfortunately we have another dip and climb ahead to soften us up before we get there. This would make a great spot for a viaduct, actually.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Video sound track: Come Saturday Morning, by The Sandpipers

As we approach the summit of Pork Hill we cross a cattle/sheep/horse guard and are warned to please proceed carefully and be mindful of possible livestock in the road.  The sign’s accurate, as we soon discover.  The animals totally own the road at the top, with sheep lying unconcernedly on the margins of the narrow asphalt ribbon and horses crossing back and forth with abandon.  It’s a beautiful scene, and none of the drivers appears at all bothered or impatient from being held up by some gorgeous mare and her colt walking across right in front of their hood.

Moor of that dry British wit you hear so much about.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The scene on Pork Hill.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Kathleen ClassenAt least they aren’t walking across on the hood!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
On Pork Hill.
Heart 2 Comment 0
On Pork Hill.
Heart 5 Comment 0
On Pork Hill.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Scott AndersonI’ve since learned that ponies occasionally get killed on these roads. They’re encouraged to linger by the spectators, who feed them - but shouldn’t. It’s illegal in fact, not that that stops them.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
On Pork Hill.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith AdamsWhat with all the livestock in the road, cyclists get the unintended bonus of being pretty safe from high speed auto traffic. Score!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

There’s a large parking area at the summit, which is filled with cars and caravans today.  We take our place on the edge of the lot, sitting on the grass watching the animals milling around - including many dogs, which are out here running freely.  While we’re sitting there we watch in amazement as a string of thirty or forty horses rises from behind the hill and marches straight at and through the parking lot, pausing along the way to see if the sightseers sitting there in their lawn chairs brought them any treats today.

Afterwards Rachael walks to the edge of the parking lot to collect her own treat - a well-earned ice cream bar from a van parked there.

On parade. Beautiful animals, every one of them.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Look out, we’re coming through!
Heart 4 Comment 0
Quite a mouthful. He’s fetched a stick nearly as large as he is.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Wouldn’t it be great if more climbs had rewards like this at the top?
Heart 6 Comment 2
Kathleen ClassenI loved the bike path in Lisbon that had the same but beer was on offer, as well as ice cream. He was doing a brisk business!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonThat would be perfect. Something for each of us.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heading back. It’s lumpy in reverse also, but fortunately much easier than the ride out.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 39 miles, 3,300’; for the tour: 2,549 miles, 157,700’

Today's ride: 39 miles (63 km)
Total: 2,548 miles (4,101 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 12
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Janos KerteszEin schöner Ausflug! Euren Bilder und das Videos sind super! Britannien ist auf meiner Wunschliste ganz weit nach oben gerückt!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago