In Plymouth: An easier last ride - Three Seasons Around France: Summer - CycleBlaze

September 11, 2022

In Plymouth: An easier last ride

We have another rideable day, and we have all day to ride in it - our ferry doesn’t leave until 10 tonight.  And we have a workable logistics plan for the day - our apartment hotel will store our panniers for the day, and we found a fish restaurant on the harbor that was willing to let us bring our bikes inside where they’ll be safe this evening while we have dinner.

What we don’t quite have though is a ride plan.  I mapped out another ride up into the moors, but Rachael’s suspicious after looking at the profile - she wants to make sure there’s not another 23% slope hidden in there somewhere.  She’s not sure about this one and asks for something easier.  I stare at the map some more and come up with an alternate idea, riding the NCN east toward Ivybridge and then turning inward to a spot on the edge of the moors that looks like it might give us some views.  It’s not easy, but it does appear at least somewhat easier.  Truly easy rides don’t appear to be in the cards in this part of the world.

She signs off, and as checkout time approaches we pack up and carry our panniers down three flights of stairs (the elevator is still out) for the last time.  At least we don’t have to carry the bikes down - we have them locked up for the night out back.

So how was our last ride in Britain?  Eh.  We did get up high enough for some views, but we could only see a wedge of them ahead down the road because we’re in a tunnel of green most of the way.  And, in the end it wasn’t all that easy either.  We didn’t have any gruesome slopes to contend with fortunately, but we put in nearly as much elevation gain as we did yesterday.  So, maybe not the most memorable ride to end up on.  Which is fine of course - they can’t all be stellar on a three month long tour, and we definitely had our share.

After passing through Ivybridge we turn north toward the moors, following the River Erme.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Most of this part of the ride looks like this - moderately hilly, hemmed in between parallel green walls.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Occasionally we come to a break in the green wall and can get a somewhat longer view.
Heart 5 Comment 0
For real excitement though we have to wait for some chickens in the road. She didn’t notice, but one of the roosters made a feint to take a peck at her as she biked past. She wouldn’t have liked that - she’s been attacked by a rooster before.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Keith AdamsI've had two chicken encounters. In the first, I was bombing down a country road in southern Ohio on my tandem, with a cousin riding stoker. We rounded a curve at 30+ mph and found four chickens pecking away in the road. They scattered, two going each way, then one of them inexplicably reversed course right in front of us. BAM!
I'm told by my brothers, who were trailing us on single bikes, that it looked like an explosion in a pillow factory. Nobody will ever know why the chicken tried to cross the road, but I was picking feathers out of the drive train for a week.

The second incident was also on the tandem, a few years later as my companion and I were climbing toward the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia. All of a sudden a rooster darted out from a driveway on our right and made a serious effort to rake my stoker with the spurs on the backs of its legs. He missed but it was a near thing.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Finally we come to the high point of the ride and get a view of the moors ahead. This is all the view we get though, this narrow slice between the hedgerows. We’ll bike another three or four miles but never get a better view than this.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Well, I do get one decent view when I detour up a side lane and find an opening with a view across the field.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Keith AdamsShame about the litter on the fence post. I can't see past it to the view.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Our last lunch break in Britain, sitting on the steps of the war memorial in Cornwood.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Video sound track: Sailing, by Classic Dream Orchestra

Surprisingly, the most interesting sight of the day comes after we’ve returned to town, only a few blocks from our hotel. We’ve been here four days but this is the first time we’ve ridden this direction.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Keith AdamsThat modernist backdrop is really jarring. Glad I don't have to see it every day.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Charles Church was founded in 1634 in an age of religious controversy as an alternative to nearby Saint Andrew’s Church, only about four blocks away.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The church was destroyed by incendiary bombing during the Plymouth Blitz in 1941. After the war it was decided to leave the church in its ruined state as a living memorial to the 1,200 Plymouth citizens killed in the raids.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Our dinner plan worked well.  We were back in town at 4 and headed down to the waterfront after picking up our luggage, arriving early for our reservation with time to take turns heading to the restroom to change clothes and make ourselves as presentable as circumstances permitted.  We really appreciated being able to just wheel our bikes inside and lean them against empty tables, and being allowed to take our time and hang out as long as we wished.

It was nearing 7 when it felt time to move on, not wanting to overstay our welcome or bike to the terminal after sundown.  We arrived at the terminal not long after 7 and queued up for clearance to board, happy to see that cars were already being admitted.  We thought this was great news, and imagined boarding imminently and being able to sit around in the lounge or our room rather than waiting around outside the terminal for a couple of hours.

We misunderstood the situation though, as became immediately apparent when we got to the loading platform and saw that our ship wasn’t even in port yet.  It wouldn’t arrive for another hour and a half, but time went quickly as we found ourselves in a lengthy and engaging conversation with four others - a pair of bike travelers from London, just starting a two week tour of Brittany and Normandy from Roscoff to Dieppe; and an elderly couple from nearby - the woman has been happily living in Devon her whole life - on their way to visit friends that live in Normandy.  It made for an appealing last encounter in Britain.  In the coming months we’ll miss the frequent casual conversations we’ve enjoyed in our stay here.

Travelers are being cleared for boarding when we arrive at just after 7, nearly three hours before departure. We’re pleased at the prospect of boarding early, until we realize that the ship isn’t even in port yet.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We’re checked in and waiting to board two and a half hours before departure, and the ship won’t even arrive for over an hour still. We’re lucky that it’s a warm, dry evening and we have four interesting fellow travelers to pass the time with.
Heart 4 Comment 0
We’re leaving England on a full moon! An omen of something I’m sure, and hopefully a favorable one.
Heart 5 Comment 0
We were handed our boarding passes when we checked in prior to boarding. It doubles as the key to our room.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Close quarters, but we’ve definitely seen worse.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 42 miles, 3,100’; for the tour: 2,591 miles, 160,800’

Today's ride: 42 miles (68 km)
Total: 2,590 miles (4,168 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 12
Comment on this entry Comment 0