in Peterborough: an OAB into Northamptonshire - Three Seasons Around France: Summer - CycleBlaze

July 3, 2022

in Peterborough: an OAB into Northamptonshire

We get down to breakfast right at the opening bell at 7:30, thinking we’ll beat the rush - usually a good bet on a Sunday morning.  Surprising to find a line waiting at the gate and to watch nearly all the tables quickly fill.  It’s the sort of thing we occasionally see when a tour group is on an early schedule, but this looks different.  They’re all guys with a similar look and heft to them.  I’d have figured it out with a bit more thought and patience but I ask the waitress when she brought the coffee to the table and she tells me the obvious: they’re fishermen.

It’s Sunday, and there must be a derby on.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In the Bull Hotel, ready to ride as soon as someone carries them down two flights of stairs.
Heart 0 Comment 0

For those who’ve been itching for some hill action after days in the Fens there’s some excitement today.  We’re heading west on the NCN 53 on an out and back into the next county over, Northamptonshire; and just a couple miles west of town we start seeing some contour as we lift out of the fens.  Two biggies on tap today - a 200 foot monster that disappoints when there’s no summit sign at the top, and later a second one that takes us up to a dizzying 333 feet.  I check with Rachael to see if she’s feeling light-headed and she said her ears popped but she’s fine otherwise.  No nosebleed.

Pretty exciting!  But that’s it for awhile folks.  Two more days in the fens ahead before we finally climb out heading north.

Peterborough has a decent network of bike paths through town and some decent graffiti.
Heart 1 Comment 0
West along the Nene.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another good use of highway overpasses.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Along the Nene. Did you notice the sky, btw? We really didn’t expect weather like this when we talked about cycling Britain.
Heart 3 Comment 0
On the purpose-built canoeing and rowing course in Thorpe Park.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Nene Park, a large wooded playground riddled with bike paths.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Over 200’ up! Look at that long view ahead! It’s great to be back in the mountains again.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Saint Mary’s Church, Warmington. Interesting that it’s flying the maple leaf today. I stopped here to check out the interior and rest up before tackling the next pass.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Jacquie GaudetDefinitely interesting. You don't see the Canadian flag very often in Europe.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Wooden shutters, Saint Mary’s Church.
Heart 4 Comment 0
A feast for the eyes in Warmington. It that wisteria along its face? That must be incredible when it’s in bloom.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Some bad luck on the horizon in Cotterstock.
Heart 5 Comment 0
I included this to remind myself that ‘market town’ is more than just descriptive. A chartered market town for over a thousand years!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Yee, haw!
Heart 4 Comment 1
Keith AdamsYou must have hit at least 15 mph on that descent. Good thing you have disc brakes or you might've had to stop to let the rims cool off.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Dropping toward the Nene. I think that needle ahead must be Saint Mary’s in Warmington.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Surprise! It looks like we might be closing out with another race with the rain.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The threat of rain gives us all the incentive we need to power back over that 200’ ridge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Back in Nene Park and close to town the sky lightens up so I slow down to look around again while Rachael continues on home. This is an interesting feature - manually operated train crossing barriers. You have to stop the car and open it by hand before driving through.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Keith AdamsEffective, so long as it isn't left open.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
The whitewater kayaking course on the Nene. The turbulence comes from the spillway of the small dam we’re biking across.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Video sound track:  Once in a Lifetime, by Jacqui Naylor

Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 48 miles, 1,700’; for the tour: 660 miles, 25,300’

Today's ride: 48 miles (77 km)
Total: 660 miles (1,062 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Suzanne GibsonGreat that you're having such good luck with the weather!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kathleen JonesSo glad you were both able to handle the elevation changes. Well done!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Kathleen JonesYep. Not over the hill yet!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Suzanne GibsonIt’s been pretty amazing. Nothing beats being in the right place at the right time.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonTo Scott AndersonHow true. I loved this ride especially running into so many cyclists!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago