Day 120 - Travel Day Wenatchee to Spokane Valley - Two Far 2023 - Oranges to Apples - CycleBlaze

August 13, 2023

Day 120 - Travel Day Wenatchee to Spokane Valley

Today we drove to Spokane Valley where we'll start and end our six day tour.  We had no plans, other than a short driving day, but on the way saw a sign for the Grand Coulee Dam.  It sounded like a sight worth a short detour.  The drive to the dam took us through some very rural areas of east Washington, primarily wheat fields.

Picturesque old barns - so beautiful.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lonely cemetery on a barren hill.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There were these large boulders all over the place. Kerry thinks they are from ancient volcanic activity.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Bob & Jan ThompsonKerry, I believe those large boulders were transported there by the glaciers during the ice age when the top part of the U.S. was covered with a thick layer of ice.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Bob & Jan ThompsonThank you, Bob.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
We have seen this before - When the elevators are full, they just pile grain on the ground. We assume it will be loaded on the waiting train cars.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There were large boulders all over the place.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The road approaching Grand Coulee Dam made me very glad we were visiting by automobile, not bicycle.  It was a very steep descent down to the dam from the adjacent town. 

Information at the Visitors Center said that the dam was one of the largest concrete structures in the world and the largest hydroelectric power source in the United States.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0