Day 87 - Port Elgin to Pugwash - Two Far 2022 - Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

July 5, 2022

Day 87 - Port Elgin to Pugwash

Heart 0 Comment 0

We enjoyed one of our more scenic rides today.  We rode mostly along the shore of the Northumberland Strait, as we did yesterday.  This stretch had many beautiful views.

Before we left, Kerry braved the mosquitoes to walk across the street and take pictures at the national historic site we skipped visiting yesterday.

Kerry here...  As historical sites go, there was not much to see here - the graveyard is the only thing left on the original site.  All the structures were destroyed in 1756 and the site was used as farmland until it was designated as a historical site in the 1920's.

This stone cairn was erected in the 1930s to commemorate the fort.
Heart 0 Comment 0
For those interested, here's what the plaque says: "Built by French troops in 1751 to prevent the English from penetrating the Chignecto Isthmus, Fort Gaspareaux served particularly as a provisioning base for the forts of Acadia. When, on the 17th of June, 1755, Fort Beauséjour capitulated to General Monckton's army, M. de Villeray, having only 19 soldiers at Gaspareaux was also forced to surrender. Colonel John Winslow took possession of the Fort in Monckton's name. Its poor condition, together with its general strategic unimportance, led the English to burn it in September, 1756."
Heart 0 Comment 0
The graveyard contains the remains of 9 soldiers that were killed in 1756 by Miꞌkmaq warriors.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Back to Jeanna...

Some of today's scenic views - all in Nova Scotia.  There was no sign, but we entered Nova Scotia near the place I took this picture.

I liked the footbridge
Heart 1 Comment 0
Waterfront hay field
Heart 1 Comment 0

If you look closely, you can see the man on the tractor is loading bales into the white tubes.  He's getting ready to put the one on the fork in behind the one halfway into the tube.

Hay wrap
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some recipients of that delicious hay.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cheerful yellow building ahead
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bright yellow business on the water
Heart 1 Comment 0

Our only place for a snack break today was at the Amherst Shore Country Store.  There were no tables, so we just wandered around the store while we ate.  The owners were very gracious.

Jay and Samantha, owners of this store and some other local businesses.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We saw some colorful yard displays.

Yard art
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another display in the same yard
Heart 2 Comment 0

We've seen a lot of old farm equipment in yards, but I think this is a first-

A bicycle tree!
Heart 4 Comment 0

We took a short detour to Heather Beach Provincial Park.

There were a few unpaved lanes lined with small cottages.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And a small beach. The water temperature was said to be "warm" here, making it very popular for swimming. The lifeguard told us it was 68 degrees. Not warm for us!
Heart 3 Comment 0
The air temperature was in the upper 70's, so it was a good day for sitting in the sun.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Rose SamsonThis beach is red, is that clay or red sand!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

This is a wheelchair for the beach.  I didn't see anyone in a wheelchair around, so perhaps it's an accommodation provided by the province.

Heart 0 Comment 0

This is the mat the chair rolls on.  A man at home in Crystal River asked for a mat like this so he could access the beach and I believe that the county has agreed to fund it.  Great idea.

Heart 1 Comment 0

This is on the way into Pugwash - we soon crossed the bridge in the photo

Heart 1 Comment 0
Marina at Pugwash
Heart 1 Comment 0
Pugwash waterfront walkway
Heart 0 Comment 0

Many of the roads on Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island are paved with red asphalt.  The red color comes from the locally quarried rock used in the aggregate.  I can't find out what makes the rocks red.  I'll try to learn more.

Heart 0 Comment 6
Steve Miller/GrampiesJust wondering, is the red colour due to high iron content?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bob & Jan ThompsonCertainly my guess also. The red color is from the red iron oxide.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Steve Miller/GrampiesThat was our thought, but I can find anything online that mentions iron or iron oxide.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Bob & Jan ThompsonThat is the obvious answer, but nothing I have found doing Google searches references iron content or iron oxide.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Jeanna & Kerry SmithJust googled "what makes PEI soil red", answer is high iron oxide content. Sometimes with google it seems to be how you ask the question that determines what answer you get?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Steve Miller/GrampiesI'm glad that you found that. I've been asking "What makes Nova Scotia rocks red?". It does depend on the question you ask. Surely the red sand has the same origin as the red rock.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

We checked into our very nice B&B and went out for a late lunch.  A check of tomorrow's weather continues to show an all-day rain event.  We decided to stay here tomorrow and skip riding in the rain.  We will then have a 57-mile day the next day, but I'd rather do that than ride in the rain again.  Kerry would have happily ridden in the rain all day, but he was OK with my strong wish not to.  Compromise is the key!

Today's ride: 36 miles (58 km)
Total: 2,836 miles (4,564 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0