Day 86 - Shediac to Port Elgin - Two Far 2022 - Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

July 4, 2022

Day 86 - Shediac to Port Elgin

Heart 1 Comment 0

Happy 4th of July!  Today we rode along the shore of the Northumberland Strait between New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island.  We will be following this shoreline for a few days before we take the ferry across to PEI.

We have ridden this route before and enjoyed seeing it again.  

Aboujagane River in Grand Barachois
Heart 3 Comment 1
Rose SamsonBeautiful view of the river. A good place for picnic or camping.
There's an animal standing out there; is that real!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Camping along the water is very popular, but as anywhere else, some campgrounds are much more desirable than others.  This large park was packed with campers side by side.

We wondered how many units were damaged in trying to park them so close together!
Heart 1 Comment 0
It was one of the most crowded campgrounds we've seen - and it's right in the middle of miles of wide open spaces.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is more like a camping spot I'd choose.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The main business here is fishing.  It seemed that most of the houses had boats, traps, nets and other items for commercial fishing.

Several houses had commercial fishing boats in their front yards.
Heart 2 Comment 0

There were a number of fisheries on the waterfront.  Westmoreland was one of the largest.

Westmoreland Fisheries
Heart 0 Comment 0

Kerry saw this sign at a road leading down to water and decided it was time for a little more sightseeing.

An open invitation for a sight-seeing detour!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Little Cape Wharf
Heart 2 Comment 0
It appeared that these were free self-operated cranes. Each unit was marked with an "Use at your own risk" sign on the control panel, but we did not see any place to pay.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view of the harbour. It is pretty empty now, but we met a retired fisherman who said it would be very busy once lobster season opens in August
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A herring smokehouse at the wharf. It smelled good.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This woodlot was across the road from the smokehouse
Heart 1 Comment 0

Not every house had fishing equipment outside.  This one had some farm equipment that appeared not to have been used in a while.

Heart 1 Comment 0

There were lots of these wildflowers along the road today.

Heart 2 Comment 0

About a mile from our motel, we stopped at a C-store to get some snacks and drinks for the night. While waiting in line to check-out, a group of people began taking selfies with us as if we were celebrities.  I think they were also avid cyclists.  If they email us any of the pictures, I'll post one.

Our motel is across the road from the Fort Gaspareaux National Historic Site.  We were going to walk over and take some pictures, but while unloading the bike we were once again attacked by vicious mosquitoes.  We quickly changed our minds about walking to the waterfront!  Maybe tomorrow morning the bugs won't be as bad and we'll check it out.

Today's ride: 33 miles (53 km)
Total: 2,800 miles (4,506 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0