Day 37 - Cape Charles to Onancock - Two Far 2022 - Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

May 16, 2022

Day 37 - Cape Charles to Onancock

Heart 0 Comment 0

We had a really good ride today.  Most of the roads we took were nearly traffic free.  The weather was perfect - mid 70's and a tailwind.  We left early because afternoon thunderstorms were in the forecast.  After an excellent lunch in town, we arrived at this B&B around 1:45.  The storm hit about an hour later and we so enjoyed being safe and dry inside.

This morning we saw something we haven't seem much lately - our shadows on the road.  Yes, sunshine!

Heart 0 Comment 0
The back roads are very quiet and peaceful
Heart 0 Comment 0
There was practically no traffic on these roads.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We continue to see lots of farming.  There were some crops we hadn't noticed in the area before today.

Tomatoes growing on stakes, between what looks like rows of wheat
Heart 0 Comment 0
More corn
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots more potatoes
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hops
Heart 0 Comment 0

We took a break at the B&B Convenience Store.  All the employees were so friendly.  It was fun talking with everyone.  

B&B ladies. The one in pink is a new clerk and the one in gray seemed to be the manager. I'm sorry that we didn't get their names.
Heart 0 Comment 0

There are many lovely homes along our route.

Heart 1 Comment 0

And then, there are those which are being overtaken by plant growth.  These are pictures I'm enjoying finding this year.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The larger homes are the most interesting to me.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We needed to make another rest and refreshment stop and pulled into the parking lot of this really nasty store.  The guy in the foreground was very animated and kept talking about his "church" and house down the road and all the cyclists he's helped.  He really wanted us to go with him there.  The guy in the back just quietly told us there was an Exxon station down the road.

Heart 1 Comment 0
He was interested in hearing all about the bike from Kerry - and Kerry is ALWAYS interested in talking about the bike.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We didn't waste too much time today because thunderstorms were forecast for mid-afternoon.  We arrived in Onancock around 1PM and it was still sunny and beautiful.  After asking a couple of locals, we found an open restaurant and had a very good lunch.  We had time to get moved into our B&B before the storm hit.  

Today's ride: 48 miles (77 km)
Total: 1,246 miles (2,005 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Alain AbbateAmazing how good just being dry feels after a few rainy days. You are due for a nice sunny stretch.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago