Day 38 - Onancock to Princess Anne - Two Far 2022 Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

May 17, 2022

Day 38 - Onancock to Princess Anne

Heart 0 Comment 0

Our host fixed us a good breakfast this morning and we got on the road by 9AM.  We are getting used to earlier starts and not even having to force ourselves out of bed at 7AM.  Sunny mornings make it easier as well.

The roads in this area are wonderful for cycling.
Heart 2 Comment 0

I took some more pictures of overgrown houses today.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
And here is a different road - just as perfect for cycling.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We made it to Maryland today.  When we actually crossed the state line, we were having to maneuver around road work on the shoulder, so I didn't get a picture of the welcome to Maryland sign.  Kerry said this is another official state sign, so it counts. 

Heart 2 Comment 0

The first town we traveled through in Maryland was Pocomoke.  We got to stop for a drawbridge, but it opened and closed much more quickly than the one in St. Augustine.

Heart 3 Comment 0

I found some more of my vanishing houses.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Some are barely visible
Heart 0 Comment 0

Neither of us could identify this plant, but it seems to be grown as a crop.  It had these bright purple flowers on small shrub-like plants.  It seemed to be interspersed with wheat fields.  Maybe it's something grown for crop rotation?

Heart 0 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltVetch
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vicia
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Another type of farm we saw a great deal of today was solar farms.  This one was on both sides of the road for nearly a mile.

Heart 3 Comment 0

This little butterfly seemed happy to pose for a picture.

Heart 1 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltTiger swallowtail

https://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/pollinators/pollinator-of-the-month/TigerSwallowtail.shtml
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rose SamsonThat is a Monarch butterfly, comes to the back of our house in Meadowcrest to sip the nectar of my Milkweed plant. They are just plain beautiful, comes in different colors. It is a pleasure to see them around.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

We got to Princess Anne around 2PM and looked for a place for lunch before we checked in to the hotel.  We found Squeaky's Cafe.  Squeaky and her chef husband own the restaurant.  The food was so good, we just had to have dinner from there as well! 

Squeaky, the owner with one of her staff members, Shemiah.
Heart 2 Comment 0

And now, after four days of bad internet, I am caught up with this journal!

Today's ride: 48 miles (77 km)
Total: 1,294 miles (2,082 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerKerry if you guys are going toward or past Quantico Md stop here:
https://www.facebook.com/sandyhillfamilycamp
Ask for Sue, she runs the place, she'll take care of you! Tell her I said hi.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago