Day 27 - Cedar Island to Buxton - Two Far 2022 - Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

May 6, 2022

Day 27 - Cedar Island to Buxton

Heart 0 Comment 0

I want to be completely honest here at the start and say that the 64 miles we traveled today we not all biking miles.  In fact, not even half of them were pedaled.  We had two very enjoyable ferry rides which totaled about 36 miles, so we really rode about 28.

We succeeded in getting up at 6:00AM and over to the ferry loading area by 7:10. It was cool and cloudy this morning and the water was completely calm.

Waiting to board the ferry
Heart 1 Comment 0

We got underway at 7:40AM

Early morning over Pamlico Sound
Heart 2 Comment 0

On the ferry, we met Ulander and Brian (Brian Ryan).  They are traveling in their Class C RV, exploring the country.  We had a very good time sharing stories with them.  They are a great couple.

Ulander and Brian
Heart 1 Comment 0

About halfway across, we passed the ferry headed in the other direction.

Ferry from Ocracoke headed to Cedar Island
Heart 2 Comment 1
Rose SamsonWhat a calm and beautiful day to board a ferry. Smooth ride.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Near Ocracoke, we saw this tiny island.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hi Kerry!
Heart 1 Comment 1
Rose SamsonHello Kerry, with that smile you are enjoying the fresh sea breeze
and the ferry ride.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

We arrived at Ocracoke exactly on time after a calm, smooth crossing.  We took a ride around the town to see some of the sights.  

This is the Ocracoke Lighthouse.  It isn't open to visitors and is still operating.  According to the sign out front, it is the second oldest operating lighthouse in the United States.

Ocracoke lighthouse built in 1823.
Heart 2 Comment 0

I was wondering what the oldest operating lighthouse was when I heard a man telling his companion that it was the Portland Head Light in Cape Elizabeth, ME.  That's how we met Nick and his wife Pam, now living in Winston-Salem.  

(I googled the lighthouse question.  The oldest still operating lighthouse in the US is the lighthouse at Sandy Hook, NJ)

Nick and Pam
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ocracoke has a herd of wild horses, descended from shipwrecked Spanish mustangs.  They roamed the island until they were penned in 1959 to protect them from increased traffic on the island.

Ocracoke horses, known as "Banker Ponies" because of their small stature and location on the Outer Banks.
Heart 1 Comment 0
None of the ponies were close to the viewing area today.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Most of Ocracoke is part of the Cape Hatteras National Seashore.  

No development permitted
Heart 3 Comment 0
Maritime forest
Heart 0 Comment 0
Miles of dunes
Heart 2 Comment 0
Storms often cover the whole road with sand
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerBoy, this brings back memories!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

The second ferry ride today was from the northeast end of Ocracoke to Hatteras Island.  By the time we got to this ferry, the clouds had cleared and it was warm and sunny.

It was a perfect day for a boat ride, a bike ride, or anything else outside.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Hatteras ferry going south passes us.
Heart 3 Comment 0

On the ferry, I met Jan.  We had a wonderful time talking and I learned from her that I should be identifying as a "sheathen".

Jan, the sheathen
Heart 2 Comment 0
Approaching Hatteras Island
Heart 0 Comment 0
Entering the harbor at Hatteras
Heart 2 Comment 0

The final phase of today's route was about 12 more miles on the bike up to Buxton.  We have a very nice room and will be here for two nights.  The Hatteras lighthouse is nearby and we may visit it tomorrow.  Or, we may just stay put and eat and sleep.  

Today's ride: 64 miles (103 km)
Total: 1,024 miles (1,648 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0