Day 26 - Atlantic Beach to Cedar Island - Two Far 2022 Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

May 5, 2022

Day 26 - Atlantic Beach to Cedar Island

Heart 0 Comment 0

We didn't have any mountains to climb today, but we had some steep bridges!  There were three right away after we left the motel.  We crossed Bogue Sound to Morehead City, then the Newport and North Rivers over to Beaufort.  The bad one was the one across the Newport River.  It was busy with no shoulder at all.  All the drivers (almost) were patient and polite, but we were very glad to get up and over it.  We did have one jerk lay on the horn when passed us after having to wait for a couple of minutes.

We took some neighborhood roads through Morehead City to avoid US 70.  In one two-block area, we found several southwestern style homes.  We didn't see any outside of that small area.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Back on US 70, on the way to the bad bridge, we passed this blue marlin statue.  It was donated by a company that sponsors a big fishing tournament here and has places for the winners' names to be placed on the base.

Heart 0 Comment 1
Rose SamsonI think you two enjoyed biking and passing by these beautiful homes.
These houses are "eye catching"!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

This is the second bridge out of Morehead City as it enters Beaufort.  it had a nice wide shoulder and was no problem to bike across.

Bridge across the North River
Heart 0 Comment 0

Beaufort is one of the prettiest towns in North Carolina.  It is a favorite of boaters traveling on the ICW.

Not a great picture, but there were many boats in the harbor.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The main waterfront street of Beaufort is lines with historic homes which have been well maintained.  I think that nearly all of them are private residences.  

Many of the homes have these historical plaques by the front door.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A lovely tree canopy in Beaufort
Heart 0 Comment 0

We encountered more road work along the waterfront.

Road was completely blocked
Heart 0 Comment 0

Kerry almost never rides on a sidewalk, but in this case, the ability to do so was a real benefit!  Cars could not get through.

Cruising on the sidewalk
Heart 0 Comment 0

We rode another couple of miles along the waterfront.  There was a mix of stately old homes and new homes and big boats docked across the street from them.

There was also this quirky little place.

Heart 0 Comment 0
I don't know a thing about it, but I'd like to think it's a neighborhood treasure.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Once we left Beaufort, we had a 37 mile ride up to Cedar Island, where we were spending the night.  There is very little development along the way.  There are a few very small towns.  

Most of what we saw for the ride out to Cedar Island was tidal marsh.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One thing we hadn't noticed yet on this trip was fiddler crabs. They love these muddy spots and are very active running around and in and out of the mud.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Most of the residents of the little communities along here have traditionally made their living from fishing.  It is becoming harder and harder to do that here.  A few people have started farming clams and oysters in the local waters.

I think these white sticks are some type of shellfish farm.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We're spending the night at a motel next to the ferry landing.  We plan to get up early tomorrow to catch the 7:30AM ferry to Ocracoke.

Today's ride: 49 miles (79 km)
Total: 960 miles (1,545 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0