Day 12 - Richmond Hill to Okatie - Two Far 2022 - Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

April 21, 2022

Day 12 - Richmond Hill to Okatie

Heart 1 Comment 0

We continue to enjoy wonderful cycling weather, except for some annoying headwinds here and there.  Today we had a break from the relentlessly sunny skies with some late afternoon clouds.  We don't have to have sun ALL the time!

Leaving Richmond Hill, we crossed the Ogeechee River. I looked for something interesting to share about the river, but nothing I read seemed very exciting. I did learn, though, that Richmond Hill was, for many years, the winter home of Henry Ford.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We were on 17 again today for eleven miles.  It was easy riding, in spite of heavy traffic, because we had a great shoulder.

A wide, clean, smooth shoulder with correctly placed rumble strips.
Heart 2 Comment 0
And an even wider shoulder - smooth sailing for cyclists!
Heart 1 Comment 2
Curt & Helene ReedLooks like 19 north, you all know that road real well
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Curt & Helene ReedFunny you should say that. Kerry and I made that same comment a couple of times.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

We left 17 near Savannah and rode northwest through Garden City and Port Wentworth.  The wide shoulder was gone but the traffic wasn't.  We never felt unsafe, but it's not a relaxing way to ride.

We were stopped in heavy traffic at a train crossing for several minutes. It was loud and smelly and we were glad to get moving again!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Image not found :(
The view ahead of us
Heart 1 Comment 0
and the view behind us.
Heart 1 Comment 0
As soon as the traffic cleared from the congestion at the train crossing, we got into Garden City and the huge Georgia Port Authority container port.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Cranes at the port
Heart 0 Comment 0
There were many thousands of containers stacked-up on both sides of the road.
Heart 3 Comment 0

All the trucks were careful and patient and it was only a few minutes before we left all this mess behind.  I think it would have been worse traveling in a car.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

We are spending the night in Okatie.  There is a Del Webb Sun City here. (I looked it up and found that, as of 2015, Del Webb had nine Sun Cities in the US.)

We came into town through Sun City.  The main boulevard was lined with masses of these reddish shrubs.  Kerry thinks they are loropetalum, but they don't have the little pink/purple flowers I expect to see.  Can anyone tell if these shrubs are loropetalum?

This was the primary landscaping along Sun City Boulevard.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There were many water features.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Some Sun City homes. Everyone wants to live on a lake, no matter how small!
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 45 miles (72 km)
Total: 450 miles (724 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0