Day 99 - Redfield to Huron - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

July 16, 2021

Day 99 - Redfield to Huron

Another day of strong headwinds - it took us 6 hours of pedal time to go 52 miles.  We hate to whine, but we're about ready for a fun and easy day!

Heart 2 Comment 3
Keith A. SpanglerI hear you! We will be calm and wait for the update! (Hugs)
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltClosing in on my wife's hometown... Mitchell. Be sure to check out the Corn Palace.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Bill ShaneyfeltWe'll be in Mitchell tomorrow and will definitely check out the Corn Palace.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

We took a short ride through Redfield to start the day.

Redfield is known as "The Pheasant Capital of the World".
Heart 1 Comment 1
Rose SamsonThis Pheasant up there is indeed an attraction to all who pass by. You cannot miss it. Nice!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Old downtown street
Heart 1 Comment 0
More prosperous looking over here
Heart 1 Comment 0
The old train depot
Heart 1 Comment 0

A large grain elevator with waiting train cars

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Our first stop was in the hamlet of Tulare.  They had a meat market which did all their own processing.   Kerry bought some beef jerky and we talked to the guys working in there for a bit.  Then we took a turn through "town".

Heart 1 Comment 0
This market didn't show up on Google maps, but we decided the meat market stop was enough.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Railroad causeway across Twin Lakes
Heart 1 Comment 1
Rose SamsonOh, a beautiful view! All trains that pass by this lake will take their
time to admire the serene lake.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

We've seen this dark red plant along the road for the last week or so.  Anyone know what it is?

It is most often between the crop field and the road
Heart 1 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltDock. Weed, not crop. Turns brown when seeds are ripe.

I pull it from our garden often. Edible in limited amounts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumex_crispus
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Bill ShaneyfeltWe noticed that some of it got into the hay bales that were rolled on the side of the road.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
A closer view
Heart 1 Comment 0
And a closer view.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Rose SamsonI wander if this plant bears many flowers during summertime.
It is an "eye catcher". I've never seen this plant in Florida.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

When we rode past the cows, they headed to the fence for a closer look at us.

These two were really running to see us!
Heart 1 Comment 1
Rose SamsonYour Tandem's color plus your outfits attracted them. The cows don't see Tandem"s everyday and probably anxious to know your "cargo".
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
These are called "Waterfowl Production Areas" on Google maps.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Close to twenty miles past our stop at Tulare, Kerry spotted this Agtegra facility.  It looked like a good place to ask for a restroom, so we rode up to the office.  It was open, the lights were on and seemed like there wouls be people working, but we never saw a soul.  We did see nice restrooms,  which we were very grateful to find.  No one ever showed up while we were there, but Kerry signed the guest book by the front door!

Heart 1 Comment 0
This huge grain truck was leaving just as we were.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We had lunch at a truck stop restaurant in Wolsey which had more locals than truck drivers enjoying the food.  A family seated next to us said this was very popular with the local residents because the food was so good.  I suspect the main reason for its popularity was its complete lack of competition for miles around, but our salads were pretty good.

We finally made it to Huron after 52 long miles.  I took a couple of pictures as we passed through the old downtown.

This building seems to be undergoing restoration.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The old telephone building
Heart 1 Comment 0
Entering the residential area, we saw this large bandshell and park. It looks like it might be set up for a concert.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Huron has a Dakotaland Museum at the state fairground.  It was a collection of assorted old stuff with very little information about the artifacts.  In the section with the usual old wash tubs and wringer washers was this "dry cleaning outfit".  I know nothing about it, but it fit my criteria for posting things I'd never seen before.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Image not found :(
This isn't something I've never seen before, but thought it might be fun for those of you who remember when the family was thrilled to be able to have a TV like this.
Heart 1 Comment 3
Bill ShaneyfeltRemember watching the test pattern waiting for broadcasts to begin?

:-)

And hearing the accompanying sound (whistle or whatever it might be called). With the state of my ears now, I wouldn't hear a thing.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Bill ShaneyfeltI remember the National Anthem playing and the voice saying "This now concludes our broadcast day." each night.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltTo Jeanna & Kerry SmithThat too. The test pattern and sound.

And when you turned it off, a bright spot appeared in the center and slowly faded.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

We are both sore and tired tonight.  We're taking a rest day tomorrow and looking for a route that is not into the wind!

Today's ride: 52 miles (84 km)
Total: 3,686 miles (5,932 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0