Day 98 - Aberdeen to Redfield - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

July 15, 2021

Day 98 - Aberdeen to Redfield

Heart 1 Comment 0

It was another headwind day - we ride straight into the wind all day.  At least there were no hills!

We left Aberdeen on the Moccasin Creek Trail.  It had a lot of twists and turns and was hard to follow.  We had to back track a couple of times when we missed turns.  

The Moccasin Creek Trail
Heart 1 Comment 0

Part of the way, the trail ran along Moccasin Creek.  It was not the most appealing of waterways.

The water must be completely stagnant.
Heart 1 Comment 0

After we got out of town, we were back in agriculture.  

We passed a few wheat fields.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We passed a lot of soybeans
Heart 1 Comment 0
And there was corn everywhere.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Some of the corn here has started to tassel.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We stopped at a convenience store at Mellette for lunch.  Margaret persuaded us to try the "TaterTot hotdish".  It was very good.  I don't think we've ever had anything like it, but it was hamburger with corn and green beans in a very tasty sauce, covered with tater tots and baked.  She said it's very popular in South Dakota. 

Margaret - she bought our lunch. Thank-you!!
Heart 1 Comment 0

 Margaret was full of enthusiasm for our trip and talked to the other staff members and some customers about us.  That's how we met Joan.  She recently returned from visiting her daughter's family near Charlotte, NC, where I grew up.  She told us all about it and the places they visited.  It's always fun the talk about "home".

Kerry and Joan. She is a dynamo!
Heart 1 Comment 0

We also met this charming family at the store.  This is Tammy with four of her ten kids.  They were just a pleasure to talk to.  Kerry ended up taking each of them for a short ride on the tandem.  First, each of the four boys went, then Tammy had her turn as well.  So much fun!

Tammy and her boys - Austin, Trinity, Jeremiah and John
Heart 2 Comment 0
Austin
Heart 1 Comment 0
Jeremiah
Heart 2 Comment 0
Tammy
Heart 2 Comment 0

(I apologize to Trinity and John for not getting your pictures on the bike.)

After lunch, the winds were even stronger.  We just put our heads down and pedaled.  I only have a couple of pictures.

Kerry liked this view of endless telephone poles..
Heart 1 Comment 0
A big ethanol plant
Heart 1 Comment 0

We see a lot of vehicles, or parts of vehicles, used for lawn decor.  I'm usually not quick enough to get a good picture.

Yard advertising
Heart 1 Comment 0

We finally got to Redfield about 2:30 after fighting the headwind for hours.  It is a very small town which calls itself the "Pheasant Capital of the World".    

Redfield still has a drive-in theater.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Our little motel is out by itself on the edge of town.  Kerry walked back to Casey's to get us a pizza for dinner.  They actually have pretty good pizza - much better than you'd expect from a convenience store.  There is no breakfast here, so tomorrow will start with Casey's breakfast pizza.  Tomorrow will also start earlier than today so we can get more miles in before the headwinds get too strong.

Today's ride: 46 miles (74 km)
Total: 3,634 miles (5,848 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0