Day 97 - Ellendale to Aberdeen - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

July 14, 2021

Day 97 - Ellendale to Aberdeen

Heart 2 Comment 0

Good weather, good roads, mostly tailwinds, mostly flat - what's not to like?  We had a good ride today and entered state number 13- South Dakota.  

We stopped at Casey's on the way out of town to supplement the meager breakfast offerings at the motel.  The parking lot was full of bikes and bikers - this kind.

These guys were from Minnesota and headed to Red Lodge, Montana.
Heart 3 Comment 0
If you look closely, you can see a guy working on his mower, which broke down while mowing the right-of-way. He said his boss mows the right-of-way for free and in return gets all the hay they bale.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Bales waiting to be picked up.
Heart 1 Comment 0

It was only five miles until we got to South Dakota.

South Dakota, great faces, great places
Heart 2 Comment 0
Just past that billboard was this historical marker, erected in 1956.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We checked the back side of the marker and it was a nice salute to North Dakota.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We stopped for a break in Frederick, SD.  They have a Community Store, which we found is run by a membership co-op.  The co-op was started in 1985 when the store owners retired.  The community got together to buy and run it so they would have a store in their town.  All the women working this morning were very friendly.  One of them had her son, CJ, with her.  He was a delight!

CJ loves to take pictures!
Heart 4 Comment 1
Mike ObermeyerApparently he doesn't like shoes. He is color coordinated with the though.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
He was not quite ready to take the bike for a ride.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerHe'll be touring soon!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Men's room in the Community Store. This is for very short men or the very well endowed :-)
Heart 2 Comment 0
Leaving Frederick, we passed the old city jail.
Heart 2 Comment 0

A South Dakota prairie barn.

Heart 2 Comment 0

A mass of overgrown trees and shrubs

Is there something in those trees?
Heart 1 Comment 0
An old house still standing in there
Heart 1 Comment 0

Here is another partially hidden house we saw.

An earth covered home. The prairie seems like a good location for this kind of home.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We could not identify this crop. Later we learned that they were cutting and baling cattails. Because of the drought and lack of forage, area farmers are harvesting anything they can.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We thought there was a retail farm equipment dealer fifteen miles past our last stop.  I was counting on the next restroom!  We got there and learned that it was a private farm.  A couple of the guys working there were kind enough to let us use their bathroom.

Logan and Casey in the maintenance shop of L&O Acres.
Heart 2 Comment 0

L&O Acres is a very large operation.  Casey hold us they farm over 36,000 acres, which equates to over 56 square miles! 

An operation of their size requires lots of equipment. Here are 7 of the 9 large tractors they own.
Heart 1 Comment 0
As well as six combines. I figure that equates to about $10 million worth of equipment just in these 2 photos. I can not imagine how many pieces of smaller equipment it takes to run an operation of this size. Also note that there is not a speck of green to be seen!
Heart 1 Comment 0

In Aberdeen, we rode downtown to find the local museum.  They have a beautiful county courthouse.

The Brown County Courthouse
Heart 2 Comment 0

The Dacotah Prairie Museum is housed in a building from 1889.

The earliest known picture of this building - in the 1890's
Heart 1 Comment 0
The original owner was a bank - this old vault is on the second floor.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The museum was OK - it mainly reflected life in the 20th century in the local area.

Image not found :(
Something I had never seen - a crank telephone from the 1920's.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Alain AbbateI guess people got a lot of crank calls back then.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
And something we all have seen. I think it was phone booths inside buildings that had these seats. The outdoor phone booths were more utilitarian and less cozy.
Heart 2 Comment 0

There was a diorama of a prairie with depictions of the grasses and animals.  I got a picture of the sign below it, but somehow I missed getting a picture of the exhibit.  

Heart 1 Comment 0

There was an exbibit in a upstairs gallery of wooden models done by a local artist.  Kerry loved these.

All the parts were wood and most of the models were 2' long or larger
Heart 1 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Heart 1 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Info about the man who built all the models.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 44 miles (71 km)
Total: 3,588 miles (5,774 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0