Day 96 - Jamestown to Ellendale - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

July 13, 2021

Day 96 - Jamestown to Ellendale

On the road again

Heart 2 Comment 0

It was a great day for a long ride.  We had a tailwind (finally!), the route was mostly flat and it was comfortably warm, but not hot.  We averaged 14.1 mph for the 63.7 miles.  

When Kerry went to get the bike from it's cozy hallway home this morning, he saw this.  This car belongs to Amy, the hotel manager.  We have no idea the reason for the post-it prank, but it is certainly very decorative!

Heart 4 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerNow that is really cool!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Our route today was all on Hwy 281.  It had an excellent shoulder and light traffic all the way to Ellendale.

The road today - excellent shoulder (with rumble strips where they should be) and little traffic
Heart 2 Comment 0

Here are a couple more North Dakota views.

We passed several marshy areas like this today.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We saw lots of corn today.  It is getting tall here.

Heart 2 Comment 0

We stopped at a rest area on the highway which had a railroad theme.  This story board was inside the restroom building.  Kerry wanted me to post it for those of you who have the patience, or interest, to zoom in and read it all.

Story of the Midland Continental Railroad
Heart 2 Comment 0
The story continued, with a note about Peggy Lee
Heart 1 Comment 0

The next place we stopped was the rather sad little town of Edgeley.

Main Street
Heart 1 Comment 0
Main Street
Heart 2 Comment 0

One place in town that looked as if it were doing well was the elevator.  We've seen many of these Farmers Union elevators and also many Farmers Union gas stations and convenience stores.  We don't know if they are related.

Heart 1 Comment 0
A very tall set of stairs at the Edgeley elevator. If this had been a public place, Kerry would have tried to get me to climb them with him. Some of you have experienced his love of climbing fire towers.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Thankfully, we had already decided to stay in Ellendale instead of Edgeley. The Prairie Rose Inn was boarded up and appears to be closed, but is still active on all the hotel booking sites.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We passed miles of haybales on the highway right-of-way, and finally caught up with the action. Two other tractors were raking the hay while this fellow followed along baling it.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerAre you guys watching the Tour de France when you're off the bike? It is a good show .... hugs!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

South Dakota tomorrow!

Today's ride: 64 miles (103 km)
Total: 3,544 miles (5,704 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0