Day 45 - Woodward to Buffalo - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

May 23, 2021

Day 45 - Woodward to Buffalo

We love a tailwind!

Heart 1 Comment 0

We're starting a little string of short days today.  Today's ride was only 34 miles, so we lazed around and didn't get on the road until after 10:30, which was great! 

 The only thing a bit unpleasant about today was a light, misty drizzle for the first ten miles.   The rest of the ride was very cloudy but we didn't get any more rain - just a random drop or two.  We also had a very strong tailwind all day long, which we loved.

The timing for the rain ending was perfect, because I could break out the camera when we got to  Fort Supply Lake.  The lake was created by the dam built in 1942 by the Army Corps of Engineers.  Located on Wolfe Creek, it's primary purpose is flood control of the North Canadian River.

A couple of days ago, we rode across the top of the Foss Lake dam. Today, we rode along the bottom of the Fort Supply Lake dam. You can see the lake's high water line along the rock.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another view of the debris at the most recent high water line. We don't know how often the road is submerged, but we were glad it wasn't today.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Even on a rainy weekend, there were people fishing from the bank. We didn't see watercraft out today.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lake Fort Supply's outlet tower. This structure contains three 7'x16' gates which control the lake's level.
Heart 2 Comment 0
These markings on the tower, I think, are the height above sea level.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Mike ObermeyerYou are correct.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steps up to the top of the dam - an invitation to climb, but we didn't.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A view of the lake and dam from above
Heart 3 Comment 0

Our only store break today was in Ft. Supply.  It was another memorable stop.  We got into a conversation with Howard, rancher and farmer, who patiently answered a ton of questions we had about cattle ranching, wheat farming and wind turbines (he calls the wind turbines on his ranch "easy money").  And, not only was he intelligent, informative and generous with his time, he is also friends with the store owner we met day before yesterday in Leedey.

Listen and learn
Heart 3 Comment 0
Howard - we will remember you.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Kelly IniguezHe looks like Archie Bunker's cousin!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

After our break, we had twenty more miles to get to Buffalo.  The clouds remained, but no rain fell.  We've been seeing wind turbines for several days.  This was a large wind turbine farm south of Buffalo.  We were surprised that all of the turbines were idle today.

The turbines looked the same in real life as in this photo - still!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Since there were no stores, we decided to take a little break at this covered picnic shelter.

Heart 3 Comment 1

It gave me a chance to get some pictures I'd been wanting to take.

We've been seeing a lot of this light green plant recently.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltPrairie Indian paintbrush.

https://plants.sc.egov.usda.gov/home/plantProfile?symbol=CAPUC
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Here is a close up.
Heart 1 Comment 0

And this plant is tall - some are at least two feet tall.  It grows more in the fields than on the roadside.  Kerry said cows must not like it, because there is so much of it in the fields.

Heart 2 Comment 0

While Kerry was getting the picture above, he also found these little white flowers down in the grass.

Little white flowers almost hidden
Heart 2 Comment 2
Rose SamsonNice to know you have a relaxing ride. NO dogs! Roads have no traffic!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltBindweed. There are 4 species in that area according to one internet site. I'm going to say probably field bindweed based mostly on leaf shape.

http://www.missouriplants.com/Convolvulus_arvensis_page.html
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

We have another short day tomorrow and will meet up with one of our friends from RANS bikes tomorrow evening.  He's going to ride with us for two days back to Montezuma.  It will be nice to have company again.

Today's ride: 34 miles (55 km)
Total: 1,924 miles (3,096 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Ken GassHas Bill set you straight on the ID of your pictured wildflowers? As to the still wind turbines, at least out here they stop if there is no demand for the electricity they'd produce. The need a few tesla batteries, I guess, to store up the power.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Ken GassHaven't heard about the plants yet. It was late before we got the post done last night. I don't know about when and why the wind turbines are run, but I can say that if they are needed, the people here can count on Mother Nature to provide the wind!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago