Day 39 - Archer City to Frederick - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

May 17, 2021

Day 39 - Archer City to Frederick

Into Oklahoma

Heart 2 Comment 0

Today was a long one -70 miles.  It was a nice ride most of the way.  The cloudy skies gave way to blue early in the ride and we had a great tailwind for at least the first 40 miles.  After that, it was a cross wind, but not bad.  We were on very low traffic roads, most with good shoulders.  Drivers continued to be safe and courteous.

This picture sums up the first half of the ride - cows and oil wells.

Heart 3 Comment 0

Oil wells were very numerous just north of Archer City.  

This is called a pump jack. It is used to lift oil to the surface when there is not enough pressure for it to rise naturally.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Our first stop today was at Kathy's Korners, a small breakfast and lunch diner near Kamay, TX.  The greeter at the door was very glad to see us.

 

Reba
Heart 2 Comment 1
Curt & Helene ReedHe did not look like a biter!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Such a sweet dog
Heart 3 Comment 0

We had a rest break and some Diet Coke and cookies.  Kathy told us a little bit about the place.  She's owned it for thirteen years.

Kathy wants to start serving dinner with live music on Friday nights.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Kathy treated us to the soda and cookies.  Thank-you, Kathy!

Kathy and her father in law, Chuck. Chuck said he is the cashier.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Across the street from Kathy's Korner was this row of old pump jacks.

They are also called nodding donkeys, grasshoppers, horse-heads, thirsty birds, among other nicknames.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's first historical marker was Texas decorated.  We actually haven't seen nearly as many bullet hole ridden signs in Texas as we have in other places.

Heart 2 Comment 0

The marker is on a Shriners Hospital owned farm.  We didn't learn any more about that.

Heart 1 Comment 0

We rode past many miles of mesquite trees today.  Where ever land had not been cleared for oil wells, pasture or farming, there were mesquite trees.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's other historical marker.  We didn't see any evidence of the old road.

Heart 1 Comment 0

As we got closer to Oklahoma, we saw more and more wind turbines.  Most of them were still today.

Heart 2 Comment 0

Cattle and oil gave way to wheat and cotton farming in far north Texas.

Heart 2 Comment 0

I don't know why this hut stands in a wheat field, but it makes a pretty picture.

Heart 3 Comment 0

Kerry saw this business and decided it was a place worth visiting.  We rode in and talked to the guys inside the office.  In addition to ginning cotton, they provide other agricultural services, including fertilizers and fuel.

Elliott Producers and Gin
Heart 2 Comment 0
Alan shared his knowledge about local wheat and cotton farming.
Heart 3 Comment 0
They've been ginning cotton here for a long time
Heart 2 Comment 0

We soon crossed the Red River into Oklahoma

The Red River
Heart 3 Comment 0
The old bridge across the river There were hundreds of these birds flying from under the bridge. Cliff swallows, maybe?
Heart 1 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltThere is just enough detail in the photo zoomed in that I believe your ID is correct.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Cliff_Swallow/species-compare/68122181
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Bill ShaneyfeltWe learned about them a couple of years ago on a Mississippi River bridge in Illinois. I thought they looked like the same thing.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
State #6 for this tour
Heart 3 Comment 0
Something we haven't posted yet - Oklahoma cows
Heart 1 Comment 0
And an Oklahoma oil well.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We have "only" 54 miles tomorrow to Hobart, OK.  The weather continues to be iffy, but we hope our luck will continue.

Today's ride: 70 miles (113 km)
Total: 1,702 miles (2,739 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Ken GassYou two have a knack for meeting local folks! Also, you are leaving Texas so soon. You'll have to come back for the Hill Country;)
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Ken GassWe have had fun visiting the Hill Country by car. We may get there on the bike someday.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Teresa KillebrewDan was born at the Frederick hospital .....he grew up in Tipton, about 15 miles west. His mother lived in Frederick a good many years growing up.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago