Day 40 - Frederick to Hobart - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

May 18, 2021

Day 40 - Frederick to Hobart

Heart 1 Comment 0

Fifty miles seemed easy after yesterday's 70.  It was a very good ride today.  We had good weather, excellent roads and quiet countryside and farms to watch go by.  We were on US 183 today.  It is four lanes, sometimes divided, with wide, clean shoulders and minimal traffic.  It's hard to picture a four lane highway being a quiet, peaceful place to ride, but this one was.

We went by the local John Deere dealer on the way out of town this morning.

The John Deere dealer in Frederick had a large number of cotton harvestors.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Once we were out of town, we had miles of tranquil morning views.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
An early swim?
Heart 2 Comment 1
Rose SamsonIt must be a hot day the cow needs to cool off.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

US 183 was a great cycling road.  Here it is moving to a divided section.  The traffic was like this most of the day.

Heart 3 Comment 1
Mike ObermeyerThose shoulders are awesome.
Enjoy.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Sorry the picture below is a bit out of focus, but I had to include it.  I don't think we've ever seen a railroad crossing on a four lane divided highway.

Railroad crossing
Heart 4 Comment 0

We heard noise coming from this elevator.  Kerry thinks they were loading the grain cars, but we couldn't really see.

Grain elevator and train cars
Heart 1 Comment 0

The first town we came to was Snyder.  The sign on the front door indicates that this is still the city hall.

I hope they can locate the funds to restore and preserve this old building.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We started seeing parts of the Wichita Mountains today.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Our stop after Snyder was the small town of Roosevelt.  It looked very sad.

Not much business in Roosevelt
Heart 3 Comment 0
The other side of the street in Roosevelt.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Mike ObermeyerYou can still get a haircut for a dollar?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Mike ObermeyerI think you might get more than a haircut in there!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Old High School in Roosevelt. It has not been repurposed as have so many other school buildings we've seen.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This field seemed to be ready for planting. The crops we've seen today have been corn and wheat.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A few alpacas were in front of this house.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We are spending the night in Hobart.  It seems a little more prosperous than some of the other towns we've been through.  With a population of 3,756, it is the largest town in Kiowa County.   This area of Oklahoma is very sparsely populated - the county encompasses 1,031 square miles but only has a population of 9,446 - which explains the wide open spaces we saw today.   

Grain storage complex on outskirts of Hobart
Heart 2 Comment 0
I love these classic downtown streets with angle parking.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The Kiowa County courthouse. Hobart is the county seat.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Old fire department building. We didn't find out if it is still an active fire department.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Mike ObermeyerIf you go on google earth, the front doors are open and there are firetrucks inside.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Today's ride: 50 miles (80 km)
Total: 1,752 miles (2,820 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 0