Day 21 - Hammond to Denham Springs - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

April 29, 2021

Day 21 - Hammond to Denham Springs

Heart 1 Comment 0

This is a short entry for a short ride.  We only rode 31 miles today, all on Hwy 190.  Part of the way, it had a wide, smooth shoulder.  The other part, it had either no shoulder at all or a very rough, bumpy narrow shoulder, which made us ride on the rough, bumpy traffic lane.  Even though it was a very short day, we feel a little beat up!

There wasn't much that seemed photo worthy today.  We followed a rail line the entire way, but Kerry didn't get to see a train.  We did see some interesting track laying for a couple of miles.  Do any of our rail fans out there know why there is this rail running below the train tracks?

Heart 2 Comment 3
Mike ObermeyerJudging from the color of the ballast under the existing rails, I would say the rails laying on the ground next to the tracks are ones that were just removed.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Keith A. SpanglerThat is my guess.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Mike ObermeyerGood observation. It looked strange to have all that track along an active line.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 1 Comment 0

We had lunch at a small diner in Livingston, LA.  The food was good and the service was very friendly.  I really think that we were the only people whom the waitresses did not call by name.

It was during the second half of the route that the road was so rough and the shoulder so narrow.  Moderate traffic made it a bit uncomfortable.  We noticed there pretty purple wildflowers, but there was no place to stop safely, so I took the pictures from the bike.  Not the clearest or best focused shots, but this is what I've got.

Heart 2 Comment 2
Rose SamsonWild flowers are always beautiful!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Rose SamsonYes, they are. We see so many of them from the bike, but I rarely know their names.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 1 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltCan't quite tell for sure, but this might be vervain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verbena_rigida
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Bill ShaneyfeltI know this was a very bad picture for you to work with!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

We are in Denham Springs tonight.  We stopped for our Diet Coke and snacks at the Circle K and found this right in front of the door.  What a difference a vaccine makes!  I hope prices for all this stuff will plummet around the country because the need is growing smaller and smaller.

Heart 4 Comment 2
Keith A. SpanglerThat is a good historic image!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Keith A. SpanglerIt does have significance, I think. It could go in a lecture on public health, marketing or group psychology.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 2 Comment 2
Curt & Helene ReedI am still wearing masks. Perhaps I should take a ride there and buy some!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Curt & Helene ReedQuite a difference from the $10 for a 5 pack I remember from about this time last year!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Since I have a short post today, I'll add something from Mississippi.  A couple of days ago, we met Daniel, who compared woodworking injuries with Kerry.  At the same stop, the Walgreen's clerk was very enthusiastic about our trip and asked Daniel to take a picture of her with us.  We received this from her yesterday.

Dee from Walgreen's in Long Beach, MS
Heart 6 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerNow that is really cool; great photo too.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Today's ride: 32 miles (51 km)
Total: 941 miles (1,514 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0