Day 144 - Grand Blanc to Williamston - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

August 30, 2021

Day 144 - Grand Blanc to Williamston

Heart 1 Comment 0

We had a good ride today.  It wasn't too hot, the traffic was less than it has been the last few days, and we even had a tailwind to finish the route.

We got on the road about 9:15 and rode past several subdivisions of large new homes.  Grand Blanc must be a bedroom community of Flint.  There was some interesting yard art here and there.

I've seen lots of mailboxes covered with flowering vines. I've never seen a mailbox supporting pumpkin vines before.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This home had an impressive wooden motorcycle model in the front yard.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And this one - I don't know what to think. I guess it is only two months until Hallloween.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We were soon back out in the country riding past farms.

Nice barn image
Heart 2 Comment 0
I haven't posted many farm houses. This one is very pretty.
Heart 2 Comment 0

And these two barns may need some spinal surgery soon!

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
It's been a while since we rode past a field of hay bales.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We stopped for a break at Isaac's Grocery in Swartz Creek.  We met Robyn, who owns the store with her husband, and Ken, a regular customer.  Ken had just come from a public meeting about local mask mandates and the four us solved that problem among ourselves.  Too bad we can't make it work for everyone.

Ken and Robyn
Heart 2 Comment 0

The only real town we went through today was Durand.  It is a big railroad town.  We rode around and checked out the sights, then stopped at the local bakery for a snack.  The bakery was serving Sam's Club bagels.  We passed on that and chose stale, dry carrot cake instead.  It was a disappointing stop.

Durand downtown and clock tower
Heart 2 Comment 0
Train mural
Heart 1 Comment 0
Historical marker about Durand train derailment in 1923.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
The ride out of town down treelined residential streets was very nice.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Near Williamston, we got off the state highway and took this traffic free back road.

The surface was a bit rough, but it was worth it for the solitude.
Heart 1 Comment 0
One mile before town, this appeared.
Heart 3 Comment 0
You all know such a sign never deters Kerry, so down the road we went.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The bridge was closed, but passable for us and the bike.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We didn't even have to take off the panniers.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Mike ObermeyerYou go Kerry!!!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
A short, easy walk and we were on the other side. We were later told by the hotel manager, that the bridge had been closed for at least a couple of years.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The only problem with our bridge crossing was getting swarmed with mosquitos when we stopped.  Once we got back on the bike, we were able to get away from them.  It was only two miles from there to our motel.  It's a very small, locally owned place that is clean and comfortable and has plenty of room for the bike.  We're all set for a pleasant evening of computer games and junk food.

Today's ride: 48 miles (77 km)
Total: 5,399 miles (8,689 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0