Day 145 - Williamston to Chelsea - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

August 31, 2021

Day 145 - Williamston to Chelsea

Heart 1 Comment 1
Rose SamsonSorry to know you start your day without breakfast. Hope that won't happen again.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Our day got off to a less than a stellar start.  First, we never really had dinner last night because the nearby store, whose owner told us at 4:00 that he was open until 9:00, was closed when Kerry went for food at 7:00.  There was no other place within walking distance and neither of us felt like hauling the bike out to ride into town.  We thought about ordering pizza, but never actually got around to doing that.  We had plenty of salty and sweet snacks with us to keep from being hungry, but it wasn't much of a meal.  So, this morning we were ready for breakfast.  Our little motel didn't offer breakfast, so we rode into town and stopped at McDonald's.  The lobby was closed and they don't allow bikes at the drive thru, so that wasn't happening.  We went and got more junk food at the convenience store next door.  Kerry got into a bit of a dispute with the clerk over the price of his breakfast biscuit and left aggravated.  Then we rode over to the museum Kerry had located last night.  Their website listed the hours as 9:00AM to 12:00PM.  They were closed.  Just felling generally annoyed, we headed south towards Chelsea.

The town of Williamston is attractive and busy.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This cheerful mural brightens up downtown.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Rose SamsonThese murals will brightened your day.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
The closed Williamston Depot Museum
Heart 1 Comment 0

Our ride was good today.  We are back in an area of large farms - corn and beans - and all the now familiar farm scenery.

A road through the bean fields
Heart 1 Comment 0

Some barns

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
And another one almost completely hidden by the overgrowth
Heart 2 Comment 0
A display of someone's rusty treasures
Heart 1 Comment 0

At this place, the building front and center also appeared to have a display of treasures.

There was no sign or anything indicating this was anything but a working farm.
Heart 1 Comment 0
But, inside this building, there seemed to be items on display. Maybe it's a personal family collection.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Our moods improved with riding in the sun and stopping a few times for food and drinks.  By the time we reached Chelsea, we were ready to look back and say it was a good day.

The Chelsea clock tower
Heart 1 Comment 0
A big plant in town
Heart 1 Comment 0
Yes, it's a Jiffy Mix plant. It didn't have the sweet aroma that we have often noticed in corn product facilities.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Kerry here...

Overall, as Jeanna said, it was a good day.  However, it was bookended.  After checking in to the motel, showering and then surfing the net for a while, we decided to go out to a restaurant for dinner.  Jeanna had spotted a Frish's Big Boy near the hotel so we decided to try it.  No luck, it was closed / out of business.  Giving up on a convenient sit-down dinner, we decided to try the nearby C-Store for roller dogs or chicken, but again No Joy - they didn't have any prepared foods.  Our third choice was Wendy's.  There was a sign outside saying the lobby was open, but when we walked up, the lobby was dark.  However, the door was unlocked so we went in.  We saw the manager, but he said the lobby was closed due to lack of staff and he would not take our order.  So now we're in our motel room waiting for a pizza to be delivered.  At least the ride was good today and that's what really counts!

Today's ride: 40 miles (64 km)
Total: 5,439 miles (8,753 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Chuck WenkGlad that you’re staying in tithe town that I grew up in, but to bad that your not downtown where the good food is!!! BBQ 52, The Common Grill, Thompson Pizza, and The Grateful Crow!!! This is Chuck and Debbie, you met us on the Falling Waters Trail in Jackson a couple weeks ago!! Safe travels to you guy’s my Friends!! M52 south of Chelsea should be good to you all the way to Ohio if that’s the way that your going!!!😊🚴🏻‍♀️
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Chuck WenkHi Chuck,
We thought about you when we got to Chelsea. We did ride right through downtown on the way to the hotel. We're kind of out of the way for any of the restaurants. We ordered from Jet's Pizza and it was OK.
Thanks for the advice about M52. We wondered how much we should try to stay off of it. It certainly looks like the easiest route.
Happy Cycling,
Jeanna and Kerry
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Chuck WenkTo Jeanna & Kerry SmithUptown Coney Island has good breakfast, it’s next to McDonald's if you’re interested(opens at 8am?). Going through the town of Adrian on M52 might be a little tricky because the town is so stretched out but probably doable. Manchester is a cute little town but not much happening there, it’s a bedroom community for Ann Arbor.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Alain AbbateWow! If you didn't have bad luck finding a meal you wouldn't have any luck at all. Hope you find a feast somewhere tomorrow.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Alain AbbateYes, we overcame our food problem today and had one of the more memorable meals of the trip.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Chuck WenkWe enjoyed our ride from Chelsea to Adrian today. We were saying that this area is one we'd like to visit again and explore in the future.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago