Day 141 - In Port Huron - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

August 27, 2021

Day 141 - In Port Huron

Heart 1 Comment 0

We took a ride around Port Huron today and visited a couple of museums.

The first place we went was Knowlton's Ice Museum. It is  dedicated to the history of "natural ice" harvesting and use.  There were displays of old ice harvesting equipment - 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

 Some ice wagons and trucks - 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Ice boxes for homes and restaurants =

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 3
Mike ObermeyerI have one like the one on the left.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Mike ObermeyerDo you have an iceman to deliver the ice?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Mike ObermeyerTo Jeanna & Kerry SmithNo, by the time I got it down here from NY all the ice melted, now we just use it for storage.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Museum manager Vicki and staff member Nancy. They were a pleasure to meet.
Heart 1 Comment 0

After the ice museum, we rode through Port Huron.

Not crazy about the metal grates on the drawbridge.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We watched this bridge coming down as we rode across the drawbridge.
Heart 1 Comment 0
There is a Blue Water Riverwalk along the St. Clair River. It's a popular place for watching ships in the river.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Sarnia, Ontario across the river
Heart 1 Comment 0

Ships docked in Sarnia

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The second museum was the Port Huron Museum, housed in the city's old Carnegie Library.   It is between exhibits and there wasn't much to see.  The third floor was a maritime museum with information about the history of Lake Huron shipping and passenger vessels.  I liked this reconstructed pilothouse. 

Heart 1 Comment 0

I really enjoy seeing the original woodwork and details in these old libraries.   We've been in many old Carnegie libraries that have been converted to museums.  I'd love to see one sometime that has continued as a library since it was built.

Original carvings
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

When we were ready to leave the museum, it had just started to rain.  It was only a couple of miles back to the hotel, so we decided to go on and not wait to see if the rain stopped.  The only issue we encountered on that short ride was that the drawbridge we crossed on the way to the museum was now open.  We had to sit in the light rainfall for just a few minutes before it closed and we could proceed back across.  

Tomorrow is supposed to be warm and sunny.  We're going to ride back west to avoid the whole Detroit metro area, then turn south to head to Ohio.  

Today's ride: 8 miles (13 km)
Total: 5,272 miles (8,484 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0