Day 140 - Port Sanilac to Port Huron - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

August 26, 2021

Day 140 - Port Sanilac to Port Huron

Heart 1 Comment 0

Today we completed our ride around the Thumb.  We had 35 flat, easy miles with a tailwind.  

We started with a trip to a bakery we had seen last night when we walked to dinner, but it was closed.  That put a major damper on Kerry's morning He was so aggravated that he didn't eat anything until our first stop 11 miles away.  A raspberry turnover improved his mood.

We went by Ronald McDonald with his chainsaw helping sell firewood.
Heart 1 Comment 0

There were many more places with beautiful flowers along the route today.

The house had a lovely front yard.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Then we saw the extensive landscaping on the side of the house.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It looks as if they have developed a small arboretum.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We stopped at a market in Lexington for Kerry's breakfast.  In the parking lot, this couple came over to check out the bike.  We had fun talking with them.

Image not found :(
Dave and Renee
Heart 1 Comment 0
More flowers to see in Lexington
Heart 1 Comment 0

Kerry routed us on some side roads along the lakefront.  Must of them were unpaved, but easy to ride.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Riding on these roads let us see homes like this.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Rose SamsonWow! a beautiful front view of the house. The flowers are well coordinated.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
And amazing views like this. There are not many sights as happy as sunshine glinting on open water.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We got a good view of a few freighters today.
Heart 2 Comment 0
One of our side trips took us on a short bike path through a country park.
Heart 1 Comment 0

When we got to Port Huron, we went to the Fort Gratiot Coast Guard Station and Lighthouse.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

We had an excellent tour with a retired Coast Guard member.  He gave us the history of the lighthouse and the various lights which have been used.  In 2015, the light was changed to LED.

The tower is 86 feet tall. We climbed 94 steps to the top.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The steps are a tight metal spiral. We held on carefully!
Heart 2 Comment 0
View from the top
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Blue Water Bridge to Sarnia, Ontario. We've been on the Ontario side in the past, but never on the USA side before.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We're taking another day in Port Huron to finish our route planning and visit a couple of museums.

Today's ride: 35 miles (56 km)
Total: 5,264 miles (8,472 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0