Day 134 - Chesaning to Bay City - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

August 20, 2021

Day 134 - Chesaning to Bay City

Heart 1 Comment 0

We spent last night at the Stone House Inn in Chesaning.  It is a beautiful old home with really nice rooms for guests.  It was an excellent place to stay and they had a garage for us to store the bike overnight.

Heart 1 Comment 0

I wish I had taken some pictures inside, but I didn't.  I did get a picture of the friendly and gracious manager before we left.

Evelyn was a perfect hostess. Sitting in the kitchen with her for our serve-yourself breakfast from the fridge was much nicer than some plated breakfasts we've had at B&B's.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Chesaning town clock
Heart 1 Comment 0
A view of Chesaning's downtown
Heart 1 Comment 0

 

Just outside Chesaning we saw this very large trencher, but there was no sign of any trenching activity that we could see.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Part of our route today was the Saginaw Valley Rail Trail.  It runs from St. Charles to Saginaw.

St. Charles, MI
Heart 1 Comment 0

The southern trailhead of the Saginaw Valley Rail Trail.

Heart 1 Comment 0
The Bad River at the trailhead
Heart 1 Comment 0
Almost the entire trail has a dense tree canopy.
Heart 1 Comment 0
There was a view through the trees of this farmstead.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Landscaping along the trail
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another tree view
Heart 1 Comment 0

We stopped at the main trailhead of the trail and got into a conversation with the trail ranger.  He is originally from North Carolina, so we all found lots to talk about.

Bryan Forest, Saginaw Valley Rail Trail ranger
Heart 1 Comment 0
All the road crossing had bollards to keep out prohibited motorized vehicles. They were easy to ride through.
Heart 1 Comment 0
At the main trailhead, there was this gate system where the trail crossed a very busy highway. We dismounted and walked the bike though the gate and across the road without a problem. We have encountered gates similar to these where we had to remove our panniers to get through, but these had plenty of clearance for the bike and baggage.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Easy traverse
Heart 1 Comment 0

We finished the trail at Saginaw and rode to Bay City on local roads.  There was a body of water covered with algae which had a bunch of ducks swimming along.  If you look closely, there some visible in this picture.

Heart 1 Comment 0

This is the Tittabawassee River at Saginaw.

Heart 1 Comment 0

A field of sugar beets.  We haven't seen them recently.  There was a large sugar beet processing facility coming into Bay City.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Brand new asphalt is always a pleasure!
Heart 1 Comment 0

We found a bike shop in downtown Bay City which had the small packets of Chamois Butt'r  Kerry has been looking for, so the new asphalt wasn't the only thing that contributed to our comfort today.

Tomorrow is a rest day here in Bay City before we start our ride along the Lake Huron shore on Sunday.

Today's ride: 42 miles (68 km)
Total: 5,088 miles (8,188 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0