Day 133 - Howell to Chesaning - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

August 19, 2021

Day 133 - Howell to Chesaning

Heart 1 Comment 0

We began today with a short ride to Fowlerville and a haircut for Kerry.  He looked up barber shops along the route last night and found Reggie's Barber and Beauty Salon right on the way, with walk-ins welcome.

Fowlerville is an attractive town.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Reggie's was a great choice.  One of the other patrons told us that folks came from 30 to 40 miles around to get their hair cut there, and we can believe it.  There were three barbers, with Reggie up front - welcoming, entertaining and making everyone happy.  I was going to get a picture of Kerry getting his long overdue haircut, but it was too much fun to watch this young man with Reggie.  He was getting a Mohawk "like Daddy" and enjoyed every minute of it.  Reggie was clearly having fun with him.  This kid is really a "personality plus" boy.  I had such a good time observing the whole event, I never did get around to taking a picture of my boy!

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

This is for Rich and Val.  One of the other patrons was driving this cool 1967 VW.  

Heart 2 Comment 0

Continuing on the route, we saw the usual beans and corn and lots of fields of sunflowers.  

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 2
Keith A. SpanglerPretty green no drought issues there?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Keith A. SpanglerKeith,
No drought. In fact there has been quite a bit of severe weather and some local flooding recently. We have been so fortunate in that we have either been behind the rain, or it has rained at night, and we have had beautiful weather while we're riding.

Kerry
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

The heads of the sunflowers are looking down now.

This isn't a giant sunflower, but a close up of the head.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Keith A. SpanglerNice shot Jeanna
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Keith A. SpanglerThanks, Keith, but Kerry actually took this one.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

We asked the store owner at our next stop if the sunflowers were being grown for seeds or oil and she said it could be either.

We loved seeing this cheerful sunflower out in the bean field.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We stopped at the Walkerville Family Mart and met Alicia, who has owned this store for 25 years.  She's originally from Louisiana, so the conversation turned from sunflowers to crawfish and shrimp.

Alicia - it was so much fun meeting you!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Big farmstead north of Walkerville
Heart 1 Comment 1
Mike ObermeyerGreat picture - love it.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

And now it's old barn time again.  Here are today's images.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerBeautiful weather it looks like.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 1 Comment 0

We rode through the town of Corunna.  There were very pretty flower planters on the bridge over the Shiawassee River.

Heart 2 Comment 0
The river is very high with some flooding in the town park.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Shiawassee County courthouse
Heart 1 Comment 0

Not long before we got to Chesaning, we saw this large collection of old plows.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

After all the old, collapsing barns, here is a well maintained classic red one.

Heart 2 Comment 0

And today's last image is this imposing tree - I think tall, strong and proud when I look at it.

Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 47 miles (76 km)
Total: 5,046 miles (8,121 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0