Day 129 - In Middlebury - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

August 15, 2021

Day 129 - In Middlebury

Heart 1 Comment 0

We took a short ride into town today.  Kerry was hoping to go to the bike shop and then we were going to have lunch downtown.  That didn't work out.  It's Sunday and everything was closed.

Last year, we rode this way and stayed in Shipshewana.  On the Pumpkinvine Trail here in Middlebury, we saw the Krider World's Fair Garden.  We didn't  stop then because it was raining, so we took the opportunity to visit it today.

The garden sits right on the bike trail.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Some history of the garden.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
There is a koi pond.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Koi
Heart 1 Comment 0
And a waterfall
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
I didn't get a good view of the quilt garden.
Heart 1 Comment 0

There were many beds of colorful flowers.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
This little one has to be in rabbit heaven!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Jeanna in front of the Dutch windmill
Heart 3 Comment 0
A large flowering shrub. There were no names on the plants, so I have no idea what it is, but the flowers are beautiful.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltRose of Sharon. One with almost identical flowers is growing next door!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hibiscus_syriacus
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Bill ShaneyfeltThank you for taking the time to identify these plants for me. I should have remembered this one. My next door neighbor had one too.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Getting ready to open
Heart 1 Comment 0
Fully open
Heart 1 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltYou can make little dolls with them. The bloom is a dress. nip off its stem and poke a little hole in its place. Pick a properly sized bud with a good stem to poke into the hole and peel off some of the green sepals to reveal a "face." My kids liked to do that.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rose SamsonAll the flowers in the garden are beautiful! Passing through them
" makes your day! " A Happy Day.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kerry strolling down the path.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We left the garden and rode into town.  On the way, we passed more damage from the big storm three days ago.  We understand that there are still people in the area without power.

Tree down on trail - trunk cut to allow cyclists and walkers to pass.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We rode into downtown and were disappointed to find everything closed, but it is Sunday.  We took the road, rather than the trail, back to our hotel.  The residential area we rode through was charming.  Front porches are so welcoming.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

We're back on the road in the morning to Coldwater, MI.  It will be state number 17 for this tour.  

Today's ride: 5 miles (8 km)
Total: 4,845 miles (7,797 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerI hope you day back goes well. Hugs Kerry, I never used my granny gear like I have in WA. They other day I missed a shift and the rear derailleur wad snapped forward and the chain was touching itself. I took time to untangle it, I was so scared. Being be more catrful.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago