Not so far after all - May 21, 2020 - Two Far 2020 - NTF (Not Two Far) - CycleBlaze

May 21, 2020

Not so far after all - May 21, 2020

This is our planned route from Natchez, MS to Cincinnati, OH.  I expect modifications along the way.
Heart 2 Comment 0

I wrote that first post back in January when we were full of hope and excitement about going Way Two Far this summer.  Well, wtf, that's not going to happen.  We waited past our planned April 5th departure date for a start time that seemed less anxiety-provoking and at least somewhat safer.  We finally have decided to go Not Two Far beginning May 31st.  This will be an abbreviated version of WTF.  Kerry, John and I will drive to Natchez, MS.  The guys will ride their single bikes up the Natchez Trace Parkway and into southern Illinois and I will SAG with our tandem on the bike rack.  In Ullin, Illinois, Kerry and I will take off on the tandem for three months around the Midwest and John will drive our car, with the single bikes, back home to Florida. (No SAG for us!) When we finish touring, Kerry and I will rent a car for the trip back home.

We hope to share our trip with several friends this summer.  In addition to the first two weeks with John, we also expect to have a week riding with a family in Minnesota, several days with friends in Michigan and another week with a friend perhaps in Ohio.  It will be a little like the Anspach-Rickey's Hop On, Hop Off tour.

In this midst of this unprecedented international pandemic, an unprecedented situation for me occurs as we start on this trip.  Not only do I not have every daily lodging planned and reserved, we don't even have every daily route mapped!  We will have to do like normal cycle tourers and plan as we go.  This is uncharted territory for us.  We may find we like planning as we go, but I don't know.  It is contrary to what we've always done when we traveled and we are the  proverbial "old dogs".  We are not being entirely wild and crazy, though.  Everything is in place for the first two weeks and we have routes planned and lodgings located for the next three.  There's only so much loosey-goosey spontaneity I can stand!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 14
Comment on this entry Comment 8
Rachael AndersonGood to hear from you again. Hope all goes well for you!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithThanks, Rachael. It will be so good to get on the road again. I hope we can avoid both dangerous coronaviruses and dangerous canines!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Curt & Helene ReedYou might find out that you will like winging it! Looking forward to traveling with you. Be safe
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithThank you. I'm not sure how much we can learn to like winging it. We're working feverishly now to see how much we can get planned before we leave :) Not much time now!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jacques CharronThis is a very good news to hear that you will be cycling again this summer after all!
We wish you all the best to the 3 of you for Special 2020 Midwest tour starting tomorrow!
We’ll missed you to bike in Canada but we’ll be following you virtually!
Have a great time and be careful!👍
Jacques and Lise 🥰
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithThanks Jacques and Lise. We are ready to roll in the morning, even though our first two days will be rolling by car. John can only take two weeks for the trip, so we decided to get a jump start to the Natchez Trace Parkway. Maybe we'll be able to skip a little of the Florida heat as well. It's about 90 every day now, so really time to head north!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Keith A. SpanglerHey travelers, time to get going! Be safe and have fun. Stay in touch please! Happy Trails Keith.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithThanks, Keith. We'll keep in touch.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago