Day 61 - Superior, WI to Solon Springs, WI - Two Far 2020 - NTF (Not Two Far) - CycleBlaze

July 30, 2020

Day 61 - Superior, WI to Solon Springs, WI

Heart 1 Comment 0

We were really lazy this morning and didn't leave the hotel until 11AM.  I think that's the latest start we've had this summer.  Our route was only 34 miles, so there was no reason to try and get an earlier start.  

The first few miles, we rode on the Osaugie Trail.  

Heart 1 Comment 0

The trail followed the Lake Superior shoreline at first.  We had fun watching a little bright yellow float plane practicing take offs and landings on the water.

Heart 2 Comment 1
Curt & Helene ReedIs that for me? A nice RC plane that I could crash
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Heart 2 Comment 0

One of these whaleback ships was on display, but I couldn't get a decent picture of it.  

Heart 1 Comment 0

We also passed several ore loading docks.

An old ore dock, sans the rail approach. When it was operational, trains would run on the top, dropping ore into bins. Each bin would have a chute at the bottom which would dump the ore into a ship. The bins (and chutes) were designed to align with the ship holds of the time. As the ships got larger, the docks had to be modified (or torn down and replaced) to match the ships length and hold spacing.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
A conveyor hauling taconite pellets to the BNSF Railway Dock 5, the only active ore dock left in Superior, WI. The taconite is stored in the rail yard and then transported to the dock. It is a much more efficient method than having trains going to the dock.
Heart 1 Comment 0

After a couple of miles, the trail left the waterfront and went inland.  It was hilly and the pavement was in poor condition.  We were happy to get back on the road, but we soon found out that much of the road was just as rough.  This newly paved stretch was a joy to cruise!

Heart 1 Comment 0

We got so tired of the bumps and bounces on the routed secondary roads that we moved over to Hwy 53 for several miles - four lanes divided with a nice big wide shoulder.  It wasn't quiet and peaceful, but smooth and comfortable.

We stopped for a lunch at a local café on Hwy 53.  It was such treat to find an open dining room.  The food was just OK, but the waitress was so friendly and helpful that we enjoyed it all very much.  For us, at least, it seems that the quality of the service is just about as important as the quality of the food in determining how much we enjoy a restaurant meal.

As we were getting ready to leave, this man on his way in stopped to talk.  He and his wife also ride recumbents and spend their winters in Venice, FL.  We talked about Florida cycling and trails and hope we might see him and his wife in Florida in the future.

Tom, recumbent cyclist from Superior, WI.
Heart 1 Comment 0

I liked this big old barn.  We should be returning to farm country soon.

Heart 1 Comment 1
Mike ObermeyerBest barn yet
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

We had a final climb today that reached 10% before we reached our hotel.  We're at the waterfront St. Croix Inn on the Upper Saint Croix Lake.  When we checked in, the clerk motioned to her left and said "Your room is right here."  It was great - a straight line from the lobby to parking the bike in our spacious room.  If only all check ins and bike parking were so easy!  

Perfect bike parking spot
Heart 1 Comment 0

And when they advertised a waterfront room, they were not exaggerating.

The view from our deck - a perfect spot for my afternoon wine and chocolate.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Mike ObermeyerGreat find - love the view (postcard?)
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

Today's ride: 34 miles (55 km)
Total: 1,806 miles (2,906 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0