Day 46 - Bemidji, MN to Bena, MN - Two Far 2020 - NTF (Not Two Far) - CycleBlaze

July 15, 2020

Day 46 - Bemidji, MN to Bena, MN

Heart 1 Comment 0

As we left Bemidji this morning, we had to detour through the visitor center grounds to see the giant Paul Bunyan and Babe statues.  We took cheesy tourist photos with them on a previous visit as well.

Heart 3 Comment 0

The north terminus of the Paul Bunyan Trail is in Bemidji.  This is the crossing over the main highway in town.

Heart 2 Comment 0

We rode past Lake Bemidji on our way east.

Heart 2 Comment 0

We should have started keeping count of the times we crossed the Mississippi River on this trip.  Here are two more today.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

The next town we came to past Bemidji was Cass Lake.  It was a rather poor, run-down looking town, but did have some murals to brighten it up.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

The population is predominately Native American and this seems to be the only real source of income for the town.

The Cedar Lakes Casino looks new.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We had a few more very nice trail miles past Cass Lake.  We rode on the Migizi Trail around Pike Bay.  It was a peaceful respite from US 2.

It was a pleasant, shady trail
Heart 3 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerYou are hooking up those trails, great job.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Heart 3 Comment 0
Much of the trail was lined with wildflowers
Heart 2 Comment 0

After we got off the trail, we were in a rural area again.  

A large supply of hay and one of the few large corn fields we've seen since Little Falls.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We saw this rain to the north.  Fortunately, it didn't reach us.

Heart 1 Comment 0

And, look who we saw again!  Ann and Fred were out for their daily ride.  We had a nice roadside visit.  They told us we would enjoy the scenic route to Bena we were about to start.

Great to see you again!
Heart 3 Comment 0

This is the "scenic route" to Bena.  It was pretty and also traffic-free.  It was a good way to finish today's route.

Heart 2 Comment 0

We had only three miles back on US 2 to reach our accommodations for tonight, Denny's Resort.  On the way, we went past the Big Fish restaurant.

This fish was probably not caught in Lake Winnibigoshish.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Before we checked in, we went across the street to the Lake Winnie Cafe.  The food was very good.  While we were waiting for our burgers, we walked into the adjacent bar area and saw another antique machine.  I truly cannot remember the last time I saw a cigarette machine.  Read the green note on the front.

Heart 2 Comment 2
Rich McKaySo... how many packs of smokes did you buy at THAT bargain price???
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Rich McKayI didn't think cigarette machines were even legal anymore. I remember putting quarters in them to buy cigarettes for my parents in the 60's.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

Now, fed and happy, we went to check in to our motel room at Denny's.

This is the road to the office.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This is the motel unit. I didn't take pictures inside.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This is the view of Lake Winnie from the office/lodge. It was the only thing on the property not ugly.
Heart 2 Comment 0

I guess it wasn't really that awful.  The room was very old and not completely clean.  The furnishings were almost junk.  The really bad thing was being told, after we had paid with our credit card, that the room had only sheets - no pillows, blankets or any towels.  I was so upset, as the woman never mentioned that fact when I called for the reservation a few days ago, nor when we first arrived.  I finally persuaded her to get a blanket and two bath towels (from her well-stocked linen room) and she brought small throw pillows from her cottage.  There were no pillow cases, just the pillows.  That was OK, she said, because they were new.  After I assured her that it was NOT OK, she came back with pillow cases.  It was a stay we will remember!

Today's ride: 47 miles (76 km)
Total: 1,327 miles (2,136 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Alain AbbateSince you are describing your most recent lodgings, perhaps you should use the phrase "last resort" to describe them.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Alain AbbateGreat idea! You are very clever.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Neil BratneyI hope you are not itchy today
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Rich McKayIs there a site where you can leave a review about this classy place? At least to warn others to bring their own linens or be VERY surprised...
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Neil BratneyAre you thinking of bedbugs? But, no, we're fine today and happy to be out in the clean, fresh air!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Keith A. SpanglerI wished that I’d had Jeanna along to fight for me; lucky you ate Kerry.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago