Day 34 - Rochester, MN to Owatonna, MN - Two Far 2020 - NTF (Not Two Far) - CycleBlaze

July 3, 2020

Day 34 - Rochester, MN to Owatonna, MN

Heart 1 Comment 0

Kerry and I agreed that today was one of our favorite rides of this trip so far.  The weather was perfect, we had a nice mix of small towns and open road, the roads were good for cycling and we both felt we could just relax and enjoy the ride all day.

We started with a little "four on the floor" travel up a very steep hill heading out of Rochester.  We knew this hill was there and had pretty much decided it would be a walking ascent before we got there.  It was a good way to get the blood pumping right off!

Hills never look as steep in a photo as they appear in real life.
Heart 3 Comment 0
My strong captain pushing up the hill. He said he didn't need my help.
Heart 3 Comment 0
It's a little easier to appreciate the grade looking back down.
Heart 4 Comment 0

After ascending the big hill, it was a pleasant ride out of town.   We went by some newly built subdivisions where the homes were very similar.  This builder obviously offered a rear deck as an option.

This new subdivision appeared to have a limited number of models.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Same model, just different ground elevation
Heart 2 Comment 0

If the buyer did not elect to have a deck, the rear looked like this:

Again, this appeared to be the same model as the others. Truly a "cookie cutter" subdivision. Also, this is not a very attractive way to finish the "no deck" option!
Heart 1 Comment 0

We were quickly out of town and into rural surroundings.

Minnesota farm vista
Heart 3 Comment 0
Good photo of a passing vehicle.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Our first stop was in the town of Byron.  The ride to Byron seems to be a popular cycling route from Rochester.  We passed several cyclists on the road.  At the convenience store in Byron we had a nice talk with a father and daughter out for a ride.  He gave us some information about the area around International Falls, which we are now planning to include on this trip.

Byron residential street.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Wide, safe shoulders make for a relaxing ride.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We rode through the town of Kasson and didn't stop, but we did see that you could get some popcorn in town tonight, but presumably, no movie.

Heart 1 Comment 0
At least roadside historical markers aren't closed. This one was between Kasson and Dodge Center
Heart 1 Comment 0
There's lots of land to plow in the area!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Claremont will lose it's only gas station / convenience store at the end of the month. The only thing that will be left in town is a grain elevator, Post Office, and a bar. (In MN, it's not considered a town unless there is at least one bar :-) )
Heart 2 Comment 0
An ethanol plant just down the road from Claremont.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Grain coming in, ethanol going out.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 48 miles (77 km)
Total: 840 miles (1,352 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Michael and Diane RuddockAlways enjoy hearing about your adventures!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Lou HarminVery interesting comments on this ride with great pictures. Keep it up.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
DAVID FAULKNEREnjoyed your pics and comments
Stay safe you two
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo DAVID FAULKNERThanks, Dave. We're trying to be safe in every way. We're sad that it doesn't look as if we'll be able to visit Canada this year.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago