Day 108 - St. Marys, OH Loop 5 - Two Far 2020 - NTF (Not Two Far) - CycleBlaze

September 15, 2020

Day 108 - St. Marys, OH Loop 5

To Rockford

Heart 1 Comment 0

It was another lovely ride on rural northwest Ohio's low traffic, well paved and FLAT roads.  I think when we get home, we'll have to send the Ohio Highway Department a thank you note :).

Many miles of todays ride were on roads like this. We had one 6 mile stretch where we only saw 1 vehicle and it was delivering the mail. I wonder if there aren't days where the letter carrier feels as lonely as the Maytag repairman?
Heart 4 Comment 0

Our riding days for this trip are coming to an end.  Soon, I won't have daily barns to show you.  Here are three different ones that I liked today.

A well maintained red barn
Heart 2 Comment 2
Mike ObermeyerDefinitely my favorite for the day.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Keith A. SpanglerThat is amazing.....that was a lot of work!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
An atmospheric old barn
Heart 1 Comment 0
And this one - the whole barn collapsed on the hay that was still inside.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Some agricultural sights from today:

Corn harvesting is going on now. We've seen corn from tiny seedlings to harvest during this trip.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This appears to be something newly planted.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Here is a close up view. Anyone know what it is?
Heart 1 Comment 0
I was excited to see the sunflowers. All the others we've seen have been past their peak bloom.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Mike ObermeyerI'm sending this picture to my daughter. She loves sunflowers. Thanks
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Keith A. SpanglerNice seeing guys.....beautiful
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

Coming into Mendon, we saw these camels.  It took us a minute to realize these are the same ones we saw just the other day.

Heart 1 Comment 0
I don't know how camels should look, but this one doesn't look very healthy to me.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Another thing we've ridden by on a couple of our loops is this place, called the Mercer County Sportsmen.  There is the stand on the right of the picture and a number of the padded structures spaced out in front of it.  I had no ideas, but Kerry guessed archery.   Does anyone know what sport this equipment is for?

Heart 1 Comment 2
Michael and Diane RuddockGoogled it, and Kerry is correct. They also have trap and skeet shooting.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithThanks for the information. I do hate it just a little that Kerry is right so often, though!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Heart 1 Comment 0

Tomorrow we're going to the Bicycle Museum of America in New Bremem and that will be our last loop ride from St. Marys.  A cold front is moving in at the end of the week and we've decided it's time to head south.  On Thursday we plan to pedal to Sidney, OH, rent a van, and drive home.  So, Citrus County friends, we'll be home this weekend.  Can't wait to see you all!

Today's ride: 47 miles (76 km)
Total: 3,593 miles (5,782 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Rich McKayOh, what snobbery! Mention your Citrus County friends, but no mention of poor, lowly Levy county and the slobs living within. I'd be wiping the tear from my eye... if I had feelings!

Have a safe trip, and we hope the rain from the hurricane isn't too distracting!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Lou HarminI really look forward to seeing both of you. I love your daily writings but the seeing and hearing from the person is better.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago