Day 88 Mill River, PEI - Two Far 2019 - Coasting Along to the Maritimes - CycleBlaze

July 21, 2019

Day 88 Mill River, PEI

Heart 1 Comment 0

Today was less scenic than our recent rides on PEI, but also shorter and with a lot less climbing.  We happily accepted fewer gorgeous vistas for an easier ride.

We got quite a late start.  Our B&B was very nice, but they do not serve breakfast at the inn.  There is a small diner right next store which does breakfast for them - all included in the room rate.  The food was good, but the wait was terrible.  It took us about 5 minutes to get seated, then - no lie - almost 45 minutes to order and get served.  By the time we ate, went back and loaded up and got on the road, it was 10:45.  It wasn't really a problem since we had a short day, but it was annoying to wait so long for bacon and eggs in a diner.

This was the predominant view today - trees with a few houses here and there.

Heart 2 Comment 0

It seems to be haying week here on PEI.  We've seen a number of guys working in their hay fields and also a lot of trucks loaded with hay bales.

Heart 2 Comment 0

Our daily tractors in a row picture.

Heart 2 Comment 0

Kerry says this is a drag harrow for leveling and smoothing fields - in this case, potato fields.

Heart 1 Comment 0

We also saw lots of PEI's aquaculture today.  They raise both oysters and mussels in abundance here.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Just before we arrived at the Mill River Resort, we spied an ice cream stand on the side of the road.  After our late breakfast, we weren't up for a full lunch, but ice cream would be the perfect snack.  As we were eating, we met Kelly who seemed amazed at the height of her cone.

Heart 2 Comment 2
Keith A. SpanglerWow, that looks gorgeous ~ yummy
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithKeith,

Jeanna thinks that they have the best soft serve she's ever had here on PEI. There is one dairy on the island (ADL Dairy. ADL is a Co-op owned by all the dairy farmers on PEI) and we think they provide the mix to everyone, because no matter where we went, it was all great.
Kerry
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

It's almost as tall as her forearm.  She was there with her husband Mark and son Hunter.  We did not see with of them get any ice cream :).

Look how tall it is!
Heart 1 Comment 0

When we arrived at Mill River, it was really threatening rain.  We'd been having light sprinkles on and off for a couple of hours.  The tree tunnel going to the hotel was very dark.

Heart 1 Comment 0

We arrived still dry and checked in to our very nice room.  There is a restaurant in the hotel, so we don't care how much it rains tonight.  Tomorrow is forecast to be clear and sunny.

Today's ride: 38 miles (61 km)
Total: 3,333 miles (5,364 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Keith A. SpanglerStop for more ice cream my friends!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Stacey BakerIt was great to meet you at Mill River! We finished our (much more humble) Confederation Trail tip-to-tip on Thursday. Hopefully we can connect next time we are in Florida! Happy travels! -Stacey & Jeff Baker (NH)
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Stacey BakerIt was very nice to meet you & I'm glad you had a successful trip. We would love it if we could get together in Florida. Remember, we have a spare tandem just waiting for someone to use!
Kerry
Reply to this comment
4 years ago