Day 87 Miscouche, PEI - Two Far 2019 - Coasting Along to the Maritimes - CycleBlaze

July 20, 2019

Day 87 Miscouche, PEI

Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerWow, what a profile of fun!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

It really felt like summer today - in the mid-80's and quite humid.  We rode 43 miles with over 2300 feet of ascent.  We had to use the "four on the floor" for one long hill that had over 280 feet of elevation gain in about 1/2 of a mile (average 10% grade).  Neither of us remembers PEI being this hilly on our previous trip here two years ago.  We were two years younger then, but I think the biggest difference has to be riding the recumbent.  It is a wonderful bike for long distance touring, but it is hard to pedal uphill!

Our version of "Bike & Hike". This happened more than once today.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The good news is that the worst of the climbing was in the first 15 miles.  After that, the ride got less difficult and much more enjoyable.  I'm just going to give you some pretty scenes from today.

A colorful array of farm implements
Heart 3 Comment 0
Green hillside
Heart 3 Comment 0
Farm to sea
Heart 3 Comment 0
A colorful fishing village
Heart 4 Comment 0
You can see the oyster beds on the left of this picture.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The spring lobster season on PEI has ended. There are lots of lobster traps stacked up awaiting maintenance, storage and the start of the next season in August.
Heart 2 Comment 0

And, the best thing today - it was hot and we were working to get up all these hills.  A truck passed us and pulled over.  This guy got out and offered us cold water bottles.  We had plenty of water, but so appreciated his thoughtful gesture.  Thank-you, Chris!

Heart 2 Comment 0

Our final stop today was at Scooter's Dairy Bar.  When we were here in 2017, I thought they had the best chocolate soft-serve I'd ever had.  More good news - they still do!

Today's ride: 43 miles (69 km)
Total: 3,295 miles (5,303 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0